Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Help please: Looking for information about Medical requirements in different countries

Hi everyone,

I live in Spain. Our local organisations (AOPA-Spain, RACE (National Aeroclub) and AEPAL (microlights)) have in recent years had a bit more success in actively engaging the Spanish civil aviation authorities in discussions about regulations and the general situation of GA and recreational flying in the country.

We’re currently looking at Medicals. Spain has (as usual) interpreted EASA rules strictly, and the same philosophy is applied for Microlights and other Annex 1 aircraft. So, we need a standard LAPL medical for flying a ULM (Microlight), and the opt-out of allowing a family GP to issue the LAPL is not in force here.

As we all know, CAAs tend to be highly resistant to change, however we have found that the fact that something is already in force elsewhere can be used as a persuasive argument, so I’m compiling a document showing what the situation is in other countries. I know about BasicMed, the marvellous-sounding Self Declaration in the UK, and the fact you don’t need a medical for ULM in France, but there must be others (surely?)

What is the situation in your country?
Can your family doctor issue an LAPL medical?
Do you need a medical for ULM?
Any other useful information?

Thanks for your info!

(Another) Peter

LERM, Spain

goflysoon wrote:

Sweden:

Can your family doctor issue an LAPL medical? No. You must use an AME.
Do you need a medical for ULM? Yes, at least a LAPL medical certificate.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

goflysoon wrote:

Can your family doctor issue an LAPL medical?
Do you need a medical for ULM?
Any other useful information?

Thanks for your info!

Family doctor or AME can issue LAPL medical. Any doctor can issue sport flying medical certificate.
You need a medical for ULM. LAPL (or higher will do), but at least a special sport flying certificate (similar to LAPL I think). This sport flying medical is also valid for gliders.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thanks very much for your replies so far. Sweden sounds similar to Spain. Norway is interesting – would you have a link to the Norwegian requirements so I can look at them in more detail?

Anyone from Germany? France? Czech Republic?

Is the UK Self Declaration system likely to change after the recent consultation process?

LERM, Spain

I didn’t answer because I thought you already had the details on France.
PPL needs a medical (regularity depends on age) by an AME. AME’s usually have a day job either in a hospital or as a GP.
LAPL is same as above but I believe the exam isn’t quite as strngent.
ULM a note from your own doctor will suffice. When you start any sport in France within a club scene you would normally get a doctors note to say there is no reason why should not take part in such an activity. This is because most sports clubs are part of a federation which arranges a certain amount of insurance cover as part of membership.
The ULM is no different. After the first doctors note there is no requirement for annual or whatever medicals. It is up to individual responsibility. If you feel that your health or mental state is not up to a flight you are expected to make the decision not to fly.
BTW the same applies to the aircraft.

France

goflysoon wrote:

would you have a link to the Norwegian requirements

LAPL and PPL is EASA

For sport flying it is these two: this and this. Lots of people (most I guess) use AMEs for this as well, as well as for LAPL. The reason being when you come to the doctor and want this kind of medical, he/she has no clue what do do, unless they have a special interest for it (and then they become AMEs anyway )

The way it works is you fill out this and bring this for the doctor to fill out. The doctor fills out this. He/she and you then signs this, seal everything in an envelope and sends it to NLF. You can also scan it and send it via mail, but at your own risk.

It’s a bit odd IMO, because it is more or less a LAPL medical. It will probably never be removed though, because there is no requirement for LAPL/PPL to fly ULs or gliders. I cannot imagine in my wildest dreams that Norway CAA would be OK with no medical at all however I have a PPL also, so I have never tried these procedures myself.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Is the UK Self Declaration system likely to change after the recent consultation process?

I doubt it will change much. There are factions within the CAA which hate it, and the medical dept is one of these, but there are some progressive elements too.

The UK has the PMD, the LAPL medical (can be done by a GP although most don’t like doing it because they are scared), and then the Class 1 and 2 as usual. UL, I have no idea but would expect the PMD or the LAPL medicals to be usable if you fly a UL on a PPL/NPPL or LAPL respectively. There may also be a different NPPL medical; that was one of the big drivers behind the NPPL, although most NPPL pilots are now on the PMD.

No other country in Europe has the PMD system. Especially one where you can fail a Class 2 AME examination and go straight to the PMD system.

France has the no-medical regime for ULs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lots more people should contribute to this thread.

For example Germany is one of the 3 biggest GA communities (Germany, France, UK) in Europe.

Administrator

I guess Germany is straight part-MED with no exceptions, hence nobody posted. There are many Germans here.

@ultranomad and @pytlak may know about CZ.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I guess Germany is straight part-MED with no exceptions, hence nobody posted.

UL licenses are not covered by the aircrew regulation so part-MED doesn’t say anything about it. Of course if you are allowed to fly an UL on an EASA license, then part-MED would apply as normal for that license.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message