Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Motoring convictions affecting flying authorisation

Airborne_Again wrote:

Certainly DUI would be “misuse” of alcohol, which is disqualifying.

In your opinion. There is no universally accepted definition of ‘misuse of alcohol’ and it is not a term generally used by the medical profession. It means whatever you want it to mean and includes or excludes whatever you fancy. That’s what I mean by poor drafting – good drafting should not use official-sounding terms that in fact have no official meaning and are open to interpretation.

Some quick research suggests that the closest match in DSM-IV is ‘alcohol abuse’. One of the criteria that could lead to a diagnosis was ‘recurrent alcohol-related legal problems’. A single DUI conviction is not, of course, ‘recurrent’. In DSM-5 alcohol abuse was removed and it’s all incorporated into ‘alcohol use disorder’. Notably, the legal problems criteria is no longer a basis for a diagnosis.

EGLM & EGTN

The other angle on this is that, in the UK, drink driving is a “criminal offence”. Speeding, for example, isn’t. A ban for totting-up also isn’t. For others in between, this is the first google hit. It will vary according to the country. So if you are asked about “criminal offences” – as appears to be the case in Germany and maybe the US – this can get you.

Even if a pilot license is not affected, your airport pass probably will be. In the UK I don’t know of any GA-usable airport which operates an airport pass but there may be some. I would imagine Exeter or Norwich might be – they are run by the “right” sort of people – but this will affect only those based there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Certainly DUI would be “misuse” of alcohol

Last Christmas my 3 boys (adults) came over for dinners and emptied my closet of fine Akevitt, several bottles of expensive stuff “shot’ed down”. I thought that was a terrible misuse

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

“Even if a pilot license is not affected, your airport pass probably will be. In the UK I don’t know of any GA-usable airport which operates an airport pass but there may be some.”

I have an Airside Pass for Inverness EGPE. I believe all the HIAL Airports require them. Also Aberdeen EGPE, Glasgow EGPF and Prestwick EGPK.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

This is relevant to the above.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message