Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical horror stories

johnh wrote:

There was talk a while back of requiring sleep apnoea tests for candidates with a BMI > 40 – but nothing came of it.

Actually high BMI is a risk factor for sleep apnea which can cause fatigue in general and microsleep in particular. So it’s not unreasonable. Whether in context it’s worth testing for is another matter.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Several people here get highly agitated when obesity comes up, and somebody suggests that it is under the subject’s control

BTW an ECG treadmill is highly diagnostic of cardiac issues, especially if obesity is a factor. If you can get one for €200, that’s cheap.

Sorry to hear of your experience, Fernando. This is one reason why most people don’t change an AME until the previous one is 6ft underground and decomposing. Even if they have to drive hundreds of miles… The other reason is that the new AME is usually highly suspicious…

An easy way to lose weight is to eat lots of veg; we did that here and obviously not everybody was happy about it Some examples here. Cutting out dairy and meat helps a great deal; the 1st is easy, the 2nd not so easy, but reducing the mass eaten helps.

It is not assured that all of us will lose our medicals. Lots of people dropped out during the “covid driven re-evaluation of life” (actually many really experienced pilots did) and lots drop out when they retire from their job. Many do lose medicals for sure; and the majority of those lose them for cardiac reasons which are fixable in nearly all cases with the great benefit of living a good life for many more years. However, so many pilots lose their medical and think that because they stopped flying they are now OK

And with the UK PMD option you can fly in the UK, and to France as well if you buy an RV Various options.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

BTW an ECG treadmill is highly diagnostic of cardiac issues, especially if obesity is a factor. If you can get one for €200, that’s cheap.

I don’t doubt that. The question is if there was any substantial reason to expect cardiac issues in my case. The regs did not foresee it, my blood pressure was within normal range, cholesterol levels were good etc.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Fernando wrote:

“Please comment on the candidate’s ability to compensate for his/her disability”. Wow.

In connection with a high BMI?

Wow indeed. Are those with a BMI over 25 now egligible for disability cheques?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Several people here get highly agitated when obesity comes up, and somebody suggests that it is under the subject’s control

I get angry if people are cheated into some sort of expensive b.s. BMI30/35 is a wonderful opportunity for this kind of thing but there are plenty others such as “high” BP or the ever popular color blindness tests. All of them, used isolated, are used to discriminate people and to extort money for mostly unnecessary tests.

If the Part MED regs do not require something, then your AME should not require it.

Administrator

Airborne_Again wrote:

Actually high BMI is a risk factor for sleep apnea which can cause fatigue in general and microsleep in particular.

Many years ago I used to work down the corridor from a colleague with a very high BMI who suffered from sleep apnea. He used to fall asleep sat at his desk for quite long periods of time, but said it didn’t affect his work ;-)

He was certainly very awake at approx 1220 each day when an email came round from reception to the whole office announcing “sandwich van is here”. Everyone would race for the door to the stairs, because if you didn’t get through it ahead of him then there was no way you could overtake him until you were out the front door. He was very quick over the first 10 yards to the door, but very slow down the stairs and along the corridor to the front door.

Last Edited by Graham at 22 Mar 16:10
EGLM & EGTN

Peter wrote:

Many do lose medicals for sure; and the majority of those lose them for cardiac reasons which are fixable in nearly all cases with the great benefit of living a good life for many more years

Or one can follow the example of this 83 year old fellow:
medical expired 10 years ago
no valid license
no maintenance
no valid documents
no checklists

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

Peter wrote:

If the Part MED regs do not require something, then your AME should not require it.

Exactly. That is why I am very happy with my current AME. He is doing his job, no more, no less, offers friendly advice where appropriate.

Or one can follow the example of this 83 year old fellow:

Of course that is possible. The biggest risk is 3rd party damage and then – if really everything is missing, as per your list – the insurance won’t pay out

Then the CAA will prosecute you. But at 83 they might not bother

Administrator
Sign in to add your message