Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Alps crossing without Oxygen

Marsen writes:

Are there a few kits that people regard as the best options?

Many of us agree on Mountain High.
Have a look/read at Peter’s excellent summary

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Just fly VFR at 10-11000. Largely the sane routing.

That works well if weather obliges. To avoid the need to climb to FL140, I’ve filed and flown a Z-FPL with VFR across the Alps to join IFR at SRN at FL110. If you can get to the Italian border at FL110, then you may get lucky and be allowed to join IFR before you get to SRN, but officially all the airway routes north of there have higher MEAs. I flew the reverse once north from Corsica, and had to cancel IFR at SRN. The controller said I needed to climb to FL130 at SRN to maintain IFR, even just to a WPT on the border (off-airway) in VMC. But he had no trouble clearing me from SRN on to the border (ABESI) VFR at FL110 even though it’s Class A airspace.

Another alternative using a Z-FPL is to fly via the Ofenpass to Bolzano/NAXAV and IFR from a waypoint near there. For example, if you set a max FL120 you can get IFR joining at DIBAX, depending on destination. South-eastern Switzerland often has manageable or better VFR conditions when a central Alps crossing VFR is not recommended or possible.

Otherwise, as already suggested, the lowest route is east to near Salzburg and then south.

LSZK, Switzerland
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message