Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR Alps crossing without Oxygen

Who flies the Alps in IMC?

I have done so a number of times, but generally don’t do it anymore because there are safer strategies. TKS doesn’t last all that long…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

maybe we could do ‘landing without wheels; can it be done?’

Sure, happens all the time. But if you don’t have an ASES, the Me263 did it too.

LFMD, France

I have done so a number of times, but generally don’t do it anymore because there are safer strategies. TKS doesn’t last all that long…

No need for TKS, just keep ground in sight and cross it in VMC, you may have to turn back though I do get that “Oxygen IFR” tend to solve ATC issues, for weather if you are keen on going and looking to enjoy it, it has to be CAVOK !

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Mar 19:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The Q was Who flies the Alps in IMC? but the above pics are all VMC.

Over the Alps, icing is highly likely, because the conditions tend to be ISA+X and IME one tends to see stuff like -5C at FL160.

Some good reading under “Threads possibly related to this one” below.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Who flies the Alps in IMC?

I did a few times but I think you need to fly so high it does not really make a difference if there are mountains below or not, so maybe FL200 and up.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Thanks for all the comments – I agree that in general I need to invest in an oxygen kit. Are there a few kits that people regard as the best options? Grateful for pointers here.
I was trying to avoid it because it’s yet another thing to have to manage / explain to non pilot passengers and if you have a few passengers you end up with tubes everywhere.

From a theoretical point of view I did actually find a routing. See below. However, I don’t understand why eurocontrol think it’s valid. The MEA on N850 is 14,000’ and there does not seem to be a MOCA published. Eurocontrol have said that the following flight plan based on FL130 is valid.

How do we explain that?

Last Edited by Marsen at 11 Mar 10:58

Foreflight does weird things. In general.

Expect you‘ll have to climb to FL140.

But anyway, 130 or 140, a no-go without oxygen, at least if you have pax.

Just fly VFR at 10-11000. Largely the sane routing. Only thing is that LIML (bloddy expensive) has certain VFR restrictions. That might be the reason. LIMB is better and does offer customs.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Mar 11:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don’t think it’s foreflight – the Eurocontrol response of the flightplan (submitted at FL130) is “Valid” – foreflight is just displaying that.

I know, it was more of a swipe. It‘s a known thing of that airway that it is listed at 13000.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Mar 11:26
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Expect you‘ll have to climb to FL140

That’s exactly what will happen mostly. They did only agree once that I may maintain FL130, but there where so many heavy up- and downdrafts, that they offered me a band of 2000 feet anyway. I think they where as happy as I was, when we made it save out of the turbulences reaching smooth air and had passed the alps to the north so could decent anyway.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message