Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Boring times, no plane to fly [GPS track visualization]

Our Mooney is undergoing refurbishment and therefore not much flying in the last few months, mostly getting her from one shop to the other. Of course, I got bored quickly and so I wrote a script nobody in the whole world will ever need but I found it funny and maybe somebody else is bored too.

The script parses the log file of the E.I. MVP-50 engine monitor and I actually wrote the parser years ago in order to get statistics on engine data. However, the MVP is connected to the GTN via RS232 and logs GPS data as well. So, while weather was too poor even for flight school traffic patterns, I added kml output to it.

The kml can be imported in Google Earth, and this is what it produces for our 2022 data:

It can also be used with Google Maps as well to make online maps like this with the same data.

The script is written in Groovy and only works with the MVP-50 and probably other E.I. stuff. For other engine monitor (or what ever) data you would have to change it. It is here if you want to play.

Last Edited by terbang at 01 Mar 21:09
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

The process is beyond me, but the end result is cool. Google maps zoomed in just south of Mannheim is artistic

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

That’s neat – thanks for posting it.

I did a similar thing for the graphic here but purely manually, by loading Flitestar routepacks on top of each other.

The problem with any script is that it relies on the data source being available for the required period. For example you have the engine monitor, I have the Flitestar aspect… I can’t think of a totally futureproof method.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It just came to my mind that Terbang’s 2022 flying map looks close to my lifetime dream flying map

LFOU, France

I did a few of these maps using KML files off SkyDemon logs. It works, but is pretty arduous since one has to extract those data files one by one for each and every leg, and then do the whole import gymnastics into Google Earth.
Already got a negative answer from SD, but does anyone on this distinguished forum know of a better way? A way to dump all the KML files from say 01/01 to 31/12/XX at once from the SD logs?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message