Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Medical Renewal risks and Cardiovascular Health

Tangent to the discussion, my AME retired last year, any good reccos in London ?

EGTF, LFTF

Dr Nomy Ahmed (CAA, EASA, FAA) has an office in Watford (about 3 mins walk from Watford High Street overground). https://flyingmedicine.uk

Last Edited by alioth at 18 Jan 16:53
Andreas IOM

Above, for FAA, for straight simple stuff only…

Centreline are good for both FAA and EASA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some interesting info on cholesterol and FAA medicals here I found it interesting to read that FAA at one time (30 years ago) considered making high cholesterol a reportable issue in isolation, without heart disease diagnosis, but it did not happen. No level of cholesterol in isolation is disqualifying. That has little to do with what is best to pursue with your real doctor if you do have high cholesterol. However it does reinforce my point above that unless you have a heart disease diagnosis that requires evaluation, blood cholesterol level is not screened by FAA (unlike blood sugar, although I’ve never seen it done myself) and is not something that would legitimately come up in relation to your FAA medical application.

In relation to reporting use of e.g. statins, other than saying their use is generally not a problem when used to lower high cholesterol, the following is said “The FAA will allow all medication categories listed above after a ground testing period of several days free of side effects. Reporting of the use of the medication is required at the time of the next FAA medical examination. Report in Section 17 of the FAA Application for Airman’s Medical Certificate, Form 8500-8, under Medications Used” There is in other words no stated need to report immediately or self-ground in the absence of side-effects.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Jan 19:03

Peter wrote:

Centreline are good for both FAA and EASA

Another vote here for Centreline (near Gatwick airport). They also do Canadian, which is relevant for me. Dr Edgington in particular epitomises what I think is the proper spirit of an AME, with the right balance of knowing the rules (he used to be the head of the UK CAA Medical section), and a pragmatic and friendly approach. He is also a pilot himself. Sadly, he has hinted at retiring soon, but Centreline have two other AME’s which between them cover many different authorities.

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

SO – QUESTION: If I tell my AME that my doctor wants me to take statins etc is this going to lead to him requiring me to do a full “cardiac evaluation”?

Have been on Statins for 6 years – always declared on Class 2 application and never an issue. Have the ECG every year as like to have as much info as possible.

Biggest annual medical risk is stress induced by having to use the abomination of software called CELLMA

Baxterley (nr EGBB) -Husbands Bosworth, United Kingdom

GrahamG wrote:

Biggest annual medical risk is stress induced by having to use the abomination of software called CELLMA

Agreed … been sodding around with it all morning … end result .. verification email in 5 WORKING days ….

Ditto … FAA medical renewal … MEDXPRESS … 20 mins start to finish … confirmation number ….. INSTANT

United Kingdom

Have been on Statins for 6 years – always declared on Class 2 application and never an issue. Have the ECG every year as like to have as much info as possible.

Same for me here, in Spain. Aviation medical outfit once seemed to detect something on the ECG and did send me to a cardiologist for a check-up and a 24-hr BP monitoring. Did not ground me in the meantime. All turned out to be completely fine, so I guess it was one of my own spurious ECU-failures . Maybe interesting to mention that they sent me to a specific cardiologist, one they have a deal with and knows about aviation.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

This kind of thing is highly country-specific.

The UK CAA is known for going berserk at any sign of cardiac trouble, and especially if an ECG showed an anomaly they tend to send you to a cardiologist working at one of the London hospitals – probably an old mate of somebody at the CAA – and they tend to do this even if you already have a satisfactory report from another cardiologist local to you. This is quite wrong but they can do what they like and you have no power to go against it because your medical is immediately suspended and they can take as long as they want. I’ve just read one such report and it was really amazing. It is probably not common on Class 2 pilots…

I found Cellma works ok now. I think it was an attempt to reduce work for AMEs, because the pilot does the data entry, and pays money for it too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But too many (most?) people get pains from statins

Did you take a look at the BHF piece I linked?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message