Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there too much negativity on EuroGA?

Over the years, a number of people have mentioned to me that they have received feedback along these lines, and that this stops some people from participating on EuroGA.

Rather than post my view (or explanation) I would like to invite input from everyone else

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As a rare poster – yes, I have the feeling that EuroGA has a slightly negative feel but, I cannot point to any specific posts. The positive is that the atmosphere that plagues many other fora is absent here – moderation or self-moderation.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Not generally, but in some specific cases, yes. OTOH it is easy to avoid such threads if it bothers you.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

More than finding negativity at EuroGA, I find it a bit everywhere in the UK and over Europe.

I’ve never spent the time analysing why I feel this way but here are some of my theories (not backed by anything but my own gut feeling)

- USA – GA in the US is much easier. Do we feel more negative when we see so much content from a country where GA thrives? For example, when we compare fuel prices, I do feel a bit negative. If I then come here to the forum, I might transpire that feeling.

- Culture – when I was training for my PPL, as a student, I “grew up” surrounded by this idea that GA in Europe is hard, expensive… Does culture play a part when we are training new pilots and telling them from day one that this isn’t a positive environment?

- I run a transport charity. We help children with cancer around the world to get to hospitals, many times days away from their homes. In 2018, I ran a pilot project where we offered free recreational flights to children with cancer. Despite having the backing of my aviation lawyer, and an email from the CAA confirming all was good, I lost count of how many pilots told me “you can’t do that”. One even filed a complaint which was dismissed by the CAA.

So, yes, I would say there’s a lot of negativity in GA. The forum just reflects that.

EGSU, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Not generally, but in some specific cases, yes. OTOH it is easy to avoid such threads if it bothers you.

Same for me.

EGTR

Is there too much negativity on EuroGA?

Not sure how to measure “too much” but there are lots of snarky comments in almost every thread that would probably be funny if delivered in person but not so much in written form.

The negativity on the EuroGA forum is much less that what you would find with a group of grumpy old men sitting around talking, in my experience.

The meetup we did in Andorra didn’t have negativity at all, which was excellent. I think the ability to get into a small aircraft and fly wherever you want with just a bit of money, administration, and planning sure makes me giddy every time I do it.

Whenever I’m feeling a bit “negative” I simply have to remind myself that my situation is better than about 8 billion people on this planet, and they’d trade lives with me in a millisecond.

Just remember – Everything is AWESOME!!!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I was about to list some of the reasons why aviation forums are often a bit negative but there’s no need – there are many threads complaining about various subjects.

People generally prefer to complain than to note positive events. Just look at the news.

United Kingdom

Do people here sometimes grumble about the challenges facing GA pilots? Sure. But it’s often instructive and it isn’t damaging to the forum in any way.

Do people here sometimes make attacks on their fellow forum users? Incredibly rarely, much much less than I have seen elsewhere. Its one of the reasons that Euroga is so great.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Short answer: I don’t think so.

Longer answer: much the same. I enjoy the discussions here and if they get too negative, arcane or irrelevant to me, I just stop following them. Simples.

I confess to sometimes being a bit negative myself. Anyone coming from the US flying environment to Europe is going to feel a bit like they’ve been whacked in the face with a wet blanket, and it takes a while to get over it. But EuroGA is a great resource for getting over it!

LFMD, France

The ratio of WTF moments over awesome moments in GA tends to go a long way towards infinity IMO. Only reasonable that a forum is a natural place to air these moments. Negativity is to react negative to awesome moments. I don’t see much of that here. Besides, most “moments” are rather neutral

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message