Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Sun 'n Fun

Hey everyone,

Me and my partner are looking at a potential visit to Sun ‘n Fun this year, given that we can find available airline seats (we have lots of Star Alliance bonus points to spend). Our plan is to visit the show on Friday and Saturday. While they haven’t released the full schedule yet, there seems to be evening activities on Saturday, which hopefully will be a perfect end to the visit, and probably as much airshow she can tolerate

For those of you who have visited before, do you have any tips or tricks that we should know about? I’m thinking about parking, hotels, food, drinks etc. Also if there is any risk of ticket selling out? Anything that might be worth to know about will be greatly appreciated to hear. It’s our first trip to a US airshow. Our idea is to find a hotel within reasonable distance and drive there. After the visit, we’re planning to stay an extra couple of days in the Orlando area.

Many thanks in advance everyone!

I’ve been to SNF a few times – normally I just rent a car, and stay in a hotel within an hour or so – and there are 1000s. Once I stayed with some of the UK RV guys in a rented house, and that was fun.

Keep in mind that you probably want to find a decent hotel – bad hotels in this area are notoriously bad. Driving to the show in the early morning is easy – you’ll be jet-lagged so getting up early will be easy for you. :)

No chance they will sell out of tickets.

If you can only go to one show a year, I’d recommend Oshkosh, but SNF is fun, if only about 20% of the size of Oshkosh.

You can fly into any of the airports in the area – it’s very easy to drive around. Don’t limit yourself to Orlando – Tampa Bay is also very viable, for example.

Other tips, if this is your first trip to the USA, remember, this is the USA, not Europe. There are things to watch out for, so take care.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

only been to S&F once, and that was (too) many moons ago… can only echo @eurogaguest1980 comments here
Generally speaking FL is The most boring US state, but for the youngest or the oldest.

Last Edited by Dan at 03 Jan 22:58
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Thanks both, appreciate it. Sounds like two days is plenty then for the airshow? For Oshkosh I know you can spend a full week there without being bored (if you’re an aviation enthusiast that is). I have it on the bucket list to do as well.

I’ve been to the US many times, and Florida too, so know it (too) well.

Two days should be enough to see all or most of it. Consider visiting the nearby Fantasy of Flight museum, worth it. An extra bonus is that there would be some seaplane action going on there around the time of S&F, at least that’s what I experienced ten years ago.

EDIT: Just read the museum has been ‘scaled down’.. But that seaplane activity may still be there then?

Last Edited by aart at 08 Jan 07:29
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Consider visiting the nearby Fantasy of Flight museum

Agreed 100%. I was last there about 15 years ago, and it was amazing then. Worth the short drive from Lakeland.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Fantasy of Flight was an excellent day out. I went there maybe 10 years ago.

While I was there Kermit did flying demos of his B model Mustang and original Fieseler Storch.

Sadly it’s closed now, they have a small hanagar with some aircraft in but the main museum is no longer accessible. Such a shame.

United Kingdom

Just want to say thanks for all your replies! Looking forward to it.

8 Posts
Sign in to add your message