Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No hangar, no tie down, but most welcome here

plenty of spectacular vids about airplanes being flipped by some winds, a good being this, I quote ultralight Airplane Overturned by the Winds!
Probably the demise of poor D-EEFY on which I clocked 20 FH when residing in DE many moons ago…

Logical, high wings are more susceptible of lifting a wing in winds, but I wouldnt worry too much with a heavy low wing Cirrus… but still be looking to tie it down.

Another danger usually occupies my mind when my baby sleeps outside: hail.
And vandalism. And… some of the reasons I’m still on a comprehensive insurance

Silvaire wrote:

I wouldn’t leave an airport without my plane having tie downs in place, and controls locked. I’ll park it without tie downs for an airport lunch stop on a calm day but that’s my limit.

I can assure you that this not always possible, even in the US. In such a case, or when too lazy to tie-down (…), a scrutinisation of the weather forecast for the nite will be beneficial to my sleep

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

An SR22, especially fuelled-up, takes a lot of wind to move it. Same as a TB20 really. You would need ~70kt at about 70cm AGL to pick it up, and that is a lot of wind. You need half of that and have it about 1.5m above the ground (which is far more common) to send a Cessna flying somewhere.

Correspondingly, to prevent an SR22 flying somewhere you need really strong tiedowns. Nothing sitting on the ground will be any good. You need strong fittings, going into concrete. This is not common in N Europe but I do see it in e.g. Croatia (the Bora, etc).

As regards weather, an SR22 is “plastic” but that is just the bulk of the airframe; the rest (everything internal) is standard old American fittings which will corrode nicely when outdoors. And when it is sunny, the interior will degrade – check some posts from Bosco, and various threads, about never buying a plane from Spain So you want to get it into a hangar ASAP. A few months with a cockpit cover should be fine.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The shelter on offer from the prevailing winds is very important. Even a minor hedge or low buildings like a portacabin can make a spot much more palatable. I’ve had to fix an aircraft after wind damage to the rudder, which broke the rudder and the linkages so an external rudder lock is good value for money.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Get yourself a Cambrai cover – the heavy duty one. The covers are fantastic and keep out prying eyes. Wind is not our only enemy.

I hope you get tons of use out of it. A great machine.

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

Peter is right. There are so many metal parts on the SR22, you can‘t even imagine how much it costs having to replace some of these. So yes, keeping it outside, in England, even just for one winter I‘d say, is a bit of a crime. These corrosion damages often don’t manifest themselves until a year or two later. But I understand you have no choice, and want to live your dream. No flight control locks available for the Cirrus.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

No flight control locks available for the Cirrus.

They are not really needed; all controls are centred using springs, other than say in the PA28 or TB20. The controls might move a little in a tailwind but won’t be slammed against the stops.

Biggin Hill

Dan wrote:

And vandalism. And… some of the reasons I’m still on a comprehensive insurance

You are right :/ Who said that owning an aeroplane was a like a dream come true? :)

Peter wrote:

So you want to get it into a hangar ASAP. A few months with a cockpit cover should be fine.

Funnily enough, the plane I’m buying lived in Portugal for nearly two years but was kept nicely inside a hangar :)

Peter wrote:

So you want to get it into a hangar ASAP.

I’m trying :) I found an airfield with hangar space, but it’s a WW2 hangar with cold as a freezer. Is that any good?

EGSU, United Kingdom

Fernando wrote:

but it’s a WW2 hangar with cold as a freezer. Is that any good?

It’s perfect as long as the roof stays in place, and the hangar doors do so too… and not too many birds dumping on you new pride and joy.
If it gets really cold (I sense another pop-corn argumentation here…), make use of a pre-heater. Many types available, most can be remote controlled by SIM card

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

We had hail this summer at my base airport – two aircrafts parked outside – Seneca suffered a lot of damage, DA20 parked next to it not a scratch.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

DA20 parked next to it not a scratch.

Hopefully… the problem being that hail damage is not readily apparent on a composite aircraft. Short of yet another thread drift Cirrus Hail Damage

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message