Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mourning and funeral of Her Majesty The Queen: Airspace restrictions

Seems very basic at the moment.

Presume once the head of states like Biden, Xi etc start arriving they’ll close off a lot more? Hopefully nobody gets caught out.

https://airspacesafety.com/home/mourning-and-funeral-of-her-majesty-the-queen/

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I asked Ops at both Oxford and Biggin yesterday if they know of anything that would restrict operations over the weekend and they said not. But both advised me to check again on Thursday.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

The invite list is every nations head of state including Putin, who declined. The Biden arrival is going to be tricky because Heathrow which is the nearest to where everyone is recommended to travel to for the coach in as all roads will be closed for any transport is going to be horrific.

I feel for the Met at the moment. This is probably there biggest job ever.

There’s also a NOTAM for GPS jamming for central.

GNSS(GPS) SIGNAL AND RADIO FREQUENCY JAMMING. JAMMERS LOCATED WI
2NM RADIUS: 513015N 0000756W (THE MALL, CENTRAL LONDON). ACTIVITY
MAY AFFECT ACFT WI 10NM SFC TO 34000FT AMSL OR ABOVE (ALL
DIRECTIONS). MAY ALSO AFFECT AIRBORNE ELECTRONIC SITUATIONAL
AWARENESS DEVICES AND UAS CONTROL. NOT TO EXCEED ONE MINUTE
DURATION. GNSS(GPS) RECEIVERS MAY SUFFER INTERMITTENT / TOTAL
FAILURE OR GIVE INCORRECT POSITION INFO. SOME ELECTRONIC
SITUATIONAL AWARENESS DEVICES AND UAS MAY SUFFER INTERMITTENT /
TOTAL FAILURE OR GIVE INCORRECT NOTIFICATION. FOR INFO/CEASE
JAMMING 07880 050310. 2022-09-0437/AS4.

Buckerfan wrote:

I asked Ops at both Oxford and Biggin yesterday if they know of anything that would restrict operations over the weekend and they said not. But both advised me to check again on Thursday.
Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Air Force One usually uses Stansted.

Expect widespread restrictions at very short notice and check NOTAMs every time you fly. Unlike the 2012 Olympics the necessary airspace restrictions won’t have been planned way in advance, simply because the travel arrangements of many visiting heads of state aren’t known in advance.

Aviation issues aside, I rather like the idea that all guests have been told to report to location X to catch the bus that’s being laid on. No doubt concessions will be made, particularly to the US President, but I dislike the idea of visiting heads of state dominating such an occasion by making it all about them, their entourage, their security and their travel arrangements.

I’m amazed they invited Putin.

Last Edited by Graham at 13 Sep 10:52
EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Air Force One usually uses Stansted

Indeed, last time POTUS was around (June 2019?) I end up landing in Southend from France as North Weald was shutdown, the funny bit even champions league players in their jets end up in Southend instead of Stansted, meeting fans and security at the exit made it a fun day

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Sep 11:01
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Fairoaks will be closed on Monday (no flying permitted), the day of the state funeral, but this doesn’t seem to be because of any operational or airspace issues.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Indochine wrote:

Fairoaks will be closed on Monday (no flying permitted), the day of the state funeral, but this doesn’t seem to be because of any operational or airspace issues.

It’s a bank holiday. If they don’t have arrangements with the staff for working bank holidays, especially ad-hoc ones announced at short notice, then it might be difficult for them to open.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

It’s a bank holiday. If they don’t have arrangements with the staff for working bank holidays, especially ad-hoc ones announced at short notice, then it might be difficult for them to open.

Could be, although usually when staff (either the FISO or the ground / fire crew) are not around (or unavailable due to shortages) flying is still permitted provided the out of hours procedure is followed (except on Christmas Day, when no movements are permitted). The impression I got was that the closure was more because the airport doesn’t think it is appropriate for there to be flying on that day, but the email doesn’t actually say this.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Indochine wrote:

The impression I got was that the closure was more because the airport doesn’t think it is appropriate for there to be flying on that day, but the email doesn’t actually say this.

Could be. Airport management in the UK is full of people who like to try and make private individuals’ decisions for them.

EGLM & EGTN

pilotrobbie wrote:

The invite list is every nations head of state including Putin, who declined.

Actually it seems not.

The BBC reports that the only three countries not to be invited to send any representative are Russia, Belarus and Myanmar. Iran’s acting ambassador has been invited, but not it’s head of state.

EGLM & EGTN
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message