Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Should we have advertising on EuroGA?

One of the reasons I’m here is the lack of advertising, and the lack of distortion that a lack of advertising brings.

Andreas IOM

I like going to industry shows, and that is nothing but advertising. One of my favorite websites is VAF and he survives on advertising – but IMHO it does not take away from the value of the site. https://www.vansairforce.com/

Obviously I don’t want to see the generic google ads that many sites use, like http://kathrynsreport.com – those are horrible. Managing advertisers that are relevant to the audience is probably a lot of work. Best of luck Peter with your quest – you won’t be able to make everyone happy, I promise!

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Actually the reason I hardly ever check the marketplace page is that there is usually nothing new – which might touch me. There I could accept ads – actually I’d even like to have them because as somebody mentioned, there must be a lot of information that I don’t even know about. For example once I spent pretty much time with google trying to find companies which sell pistons (we made a top overhaul two years ago), another time exhaust pipes. For sure I did not find all possibilities yet.
Have to admit that those ads might fill the marketplace page up so that the individual notes might disappear, so it may not be a good idea?? And perhaps the companies would not care to pay a penny for ads hidden there. But pop ups sure would stop reading these great pages, so don’t accept them!

Every now and then I’ve also thought that it would be wonderful to have separate pages for different planes. One page for cessnas, another for my rallye, etc. So it would make it easier to find people who happen to know about the certain plane: what it needs, what are the weaknesses, special trics, maintenance etc. Those pages might also suit for ads for that certain plane. Well, then we naturally hit the problem that spark plugs go for all planes.. no perfect solution that either.
But yes, I’d like to have easier way of finding more data without harmful ads.

EFFO EFHV, Finland

Peter wrote:

I will keep the input here going and then I will tell you all what I think

You have written (several times) that you don’t want advertising because then we (and ultimately you) have to avoid writing anything that could upset the advertisers. I agree and hope you have not changed your mind on that.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

hanski wrote:

Actually the reason I hardly ever check the marketplace page is that there is usually nothing new

I agree. It would be helpful (also for the sellers) if the marketplace was listed as a thread on the Active Threads page.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

We have the Zoom discussion slot tonight, 2000 UTC, so if anyone would like to give their view, that’s a good place.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like not having ads. FYI, I use adblock everywhere. I could put a few euros a year to keep it that way.
If ads were to be put in, I would take VAF as an example of what to do, but EuroGA is a very different place.

LFOU, France

We already have advertising, in the Marketplace, and I think this is great. And yes, I do a refresh on Marketplace at least weekly. I would not enjoy randomish ads embedded in the forum pages. In short, I like what we have.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I largely view the forum on a phone.
Other sites that have advertising, even very topic appropriate advertising rarely (almost never) have anything to interest me.
Additionally it causes to page to load more slowly and it’s not uncommon that the page tjen restructures as it loads and if you’re just about to select something it may then be an unwanted link to something (obviously on some vermin websites that is entirely deliberate, like swapping the agree/disagree button locations.
Anyhoo, I like the forum as it is, and prefer not to see ads, but wouldn’t ditch you all, if there were some.

United Kingdom

Most of us fly or own a certified aircraft, which is what it is and very limited in terms of being able to add to it or modify things. So I suppose most of us are not interested in all kind of ads of radios, engines and what have you, and should you be, there is a good reason for it, so you search for yourself.

Maybe ancillary stuff like cleaning materials etc? Well, even there I would search the web myself and I would not be lead by ads

We’re not supermarket impulse buyers, when we need something we search for it, no?

So, please, no ads and happy to increase my yearly contribution if needed.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
Sign in to add your message