Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

English language proficiency test

Certain accents are extra hard for English speakers to understand, with French at the top of the list

Yep. Sometimes I find the ATIS in English harder to understand than in French.

Welsh accent and speaking Welsh aren’t the same thing at all. Anyone from rural Wales has a very noticeable Welsh accent even if they don’t speak a word of the language. But heaven help a non-native (and most natives come to that) with a strong Glasgow or Newcastle accent.

LFMD, France

greg_mp wrote:

I have been told that some (french) people get their ELP6 but not from Orly’s office of DGAC recently. May be you can contact James Emery (Lingaero), he flies all around France for ELP tests and lessons, he may give you some more clue about the possibility to get ELP6.

Good to news that James can do IFR ELP6 now, I think that useful info should be updated here?
This document from Feb2022 still show Orly as the only center

Fench ELP centers

I did IFR ELP6 two year ago in the miserable testing center in Orly, it took tow attempts
I have CAA FRTOL and UK IR and had to re-sit that test to get IFR Level 6 !

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Nov 11:17
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

strong Glasgow or Newcastle accent

And it’s not only the accent, it’s complete pronunciation, different vocals… reminds me often to Croatian islands

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

johnh wrote:

Welsh accent and speaking Welsh aren’t the same thing at all. Anyone from rural Wales has a very noticeable Welsh accent even if they don’t speak a word of the language.

Thanks John I probably should have been clearer between ‘person from Wales’ and ‘Welsh-speaking’

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

AFAIK, in certain situations, an ELP6 signoff is permanent, whereas an ELP4 signoff lasts a year, or some such.

xLP6 signoffs are always permanent. (There is possibly some provision for revocation, but nothing that happens automatically.)

xLP5 signoffs are valid for 6 years, while xLP4 signoffs are valid for 4 years.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Capitaine wrote:

Even the BBC has moved away from Received Pronunciation.

Oh, dear me. What’s the world coming to, I ask?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

MedEwok wrote:

May I inquire which facility you used

It’s an Austrian facility, examiner was Theo Voss. After the actual exam the recording is passed over to a language professional for another set of marks. I can pass the contact details if interested.

The exam is in fact about aviation english, so accent should not count, but, you know, in the end it does. Funny is that I had to keep in mind that it’s “tri” for 3 and “tausand” for thousand and so on, ah “niner” of course. That’s a bit annoying in the interview, I had to correct myself sometimes for that. Important about the exam was also the set of questions. Best is to give a correct answer, if not sure, however, you can ask to listen to the question once again. But only once in total over all questions if you want to have a 6. Some of the questions weren’t easy to understand, there was sound in the background, there were different accents that you don’t know in advance, and you don’t even know what comes next, whether it’s an ATIS or a picture description with a specific question what you should describe from the picture. So it’s quite on the spot. I just talked my head off ;-) until Theo told me that was enough, looks like it was a good strategy.

Germany

At the facility where I got my ELP6 (I believe they use Eurocontrol testing standards), the difference between an ELP5 and an ELP6 (what is specifically tested to give you an ELP6) is not only “native level equivalent” language level, but the capacity to adapt one’s speech to the level of the person one is speaking to.

I got ELP6, but the native English speaker person (from India) just before/after me got ELP5. Specifically because she didn’t show the ability to use alternative, simpler, words to express herself when the examiners faked that they didn’t understand her idiomatic expressions. While actually, I was rather oblivious to the fact that one of them was faking it and upon her questioning, I switched to very basic simple vocabulary, while internally (but not showing it) registering shock that she could be ELP6 examiner but not understand “average advanced” words. I cottoned on that she must have been faking it only later ;→

Last Edited by lionel at 22 Nov 12:24
ELLX

lionel wrote:

the difference between an ELP5 and an ELP6 (what is specifically tested to give you an ELP6) is not only “native level equivalent” language level, but the capacity to adapt one’s speech to the level of the person one is speaking to.

Did they tell you about this before the exam? Because if not, it would quite unfair and a very good way to trick candidates as most would expect that Level 6 requires having rich/advanced vocabulary…

ENVA, Norway

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

Because if not, it would quite unfair and a very good way to trick candidates as most would expect that Level 6 requires having rich/advanced vocabulary

I was told about this idiomatic when preparing for IFR ELP6

There are millions of way to trick one down, like ‘request 220 to avoid’ while (the fat) examiner wanted ‘request 220 to avoid cumulonimbus cloud’, on 2nd attempt, I asked another examiner (who looked like ex-captain) if the above shortcut matter? he said ‘to avoid’ is OK

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Nov 12:54
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message