Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Detailed discussion of medical requirements between LAPL medical and Euro PPL Class 2, and FAA Class 3

eurogaguest1980 wrote:

And then in a year, I go back for the Class 2 and I get two years?

It may then be an initial, not a renewal, though. There are some concessions in renewals that are not acceptable in an initial.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

It may then be an initial, not a renewal, though. There are some concessions in renewals that are not acceptable in an initial.

As far as I understand part-MED, and initials is not needed until 5 years have passed and you still have these concessions. Note item (iii) below.

MED.A.45 (c) (2) In the case of class 1 and class 2 medical certificates:
…(i) if the medical certificate has expired for less than 2 years, a routine revalidation aero-medical examination shall be performed;
…(ii) if the medical certificate has expired for more than 2 years but less than 5 years, the AeMC or AME shall only conduct the renewal aero-medical examination after assessment of the aero-medical records of the applicant;
…(iii) if the medical certificate has expired for more than 5 years, the aero-medical examination requirements for initial issue shall apply and the assessment shall be based on the revalidation requirements.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 12 May 15:43
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Item (iii) is interesting in that after 5 years an LAPL medical reverts to Initial requirements, whereas a normal Class 2 remains the same, I think, no?

I think this is quite subtle:

the aero-medical examination requirements for initial issue shall apply and the assessment shall be based on the revalidation requirements.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Item (iii) is interesting in that after 5 years an LAPL medical reverts to Initial requirements, whereas a normal Class 2 remains the same, I think, no?

The item is about class 1 and 2 — not LAPL. LAPL doesn’t have the same kind of distinction between initial and subsequent examinations.

I think this is quite subtle:

Yes.

the aero-medical examination requirements for initial issue shall apply and the assessment shall be based on the revalidation requirements.

I take it to mean that the AME has to do all the checks and tests that apply to the initial examination, but when assessing if the pilot is fit or not, then regular revalidation criteria should be used.

The item is about class 1 and 2

Interesting. I knew the Class 1 reverted to a completely Initial medical after 5 years but didn’t know the Class 2 did.

Amazing how much national variation there is. For example colour vision.

Posts moved to the best thread I can find

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I knew the Class 1 reverted to a completely Initial medical after 5 years but didn’t know the Class 2 did.

Neither ever revert to a “completely initial medical”. See my two previous posts.

I think the UK one used to – back when I used to have a Class 1. Very few people ever noticed that bit of text, but it may have caught out some who made use of the constant derogations but did not need a Euro Class 1 for some reason. I discussed this with the AME at the time and he told me to not worry about it

Administrator

Pity there isn’t some sort of comparison document out there.

AMEs (well, the ones who know their job) coul produce one, but they rarely post on forums

Administrator

I did FAA Basic Med today for the first time, maybe the details might be of some interest to those who fly in the US. I decided to do it at a shopping center (i.e. commercial, franchised) urgent care and industrial medicine place, not with my primary physician nor with one the local AMEs who will also do Basic Med. I think it’s best as a basic principle to keep any aviation medical exam as far from your other medical care and records as reasonably possible.

It was basically the same as an FAA 3rd Class, roughly 15 minutes of examination, and was billed as a DOT commercial driver exam at $120. As I described I an earlier post above, one difference is that you can’t permanently fail (only not pass, perhaps to try again later with a different physician). Another is that no medical data or details go the FAA. The only issue for me was it took over two hours in all – like any urgent care place it was busy, they didn’t take an appointment and physicals come on the bottom of the priority list.

My primary reason for doing Basic Med is to get 4 year validity versus 2 years for a 3rd Class at my age. Also I have benign medical condition that might be a factor for a 2nd or 1st class exam and I didn’t want to discuss it with an AME while getting a 3rd class – I prefer to ‘fly as far from the sun’ as one can do while staying within the FAA regulations.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 24 Oct 21:42

By the way, here is a good explanation of corrected vision requirements for FAA Class 3 versus Classes 1 or 2. Notice that the requirements apply to each eye individually, even when you’re 20/20 with both eyes in combination.

If you prefer to wear contacts when flying, and have a minor astigmatism that they don’t correct, the different requirements for Class 3 may provide for it, as will ‘medical discretion’ under BasicMed, when operating in the US.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Oct 04:12
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message