Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Postponing avionics work due to Russian invasion of Ukraine

One avionics firm at Aero EDNY said to me that a lot of people have put jobs on hold.

I find it hard to believe, but if true it shows just how fragile things are, despite aircraft prices going through the roof.

Please note the thread on the war itself is here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Any idea who those people are? Russia owners that first need to figure out what’s next?

Germany

Peter wrote:

One avionics firm at Aero EDNY said to me that a lot of people have put jobs on hold.

Our local avionics firm has put lots of jobs on hold, but that’s because avionics manufacturers (Garmin, primarily) can’t deliver.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

Our local avionics firm has put lots of jobs on hold, but that’s because avionics manufacturers (Garmin, primarily) can’t deliver.

Not only avionics. Lead time for Lycoming cylinders (at least the ones we are interested in) are at 52 weeks or so. Even before the Russian invasion though.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

@Patrick – 52 weeks for cylinders? Which, out of interest?

skydriller wrote:

52 weeks for cylinders? Which, out of interest?

We have a Lycoming IO-360-L2A engine on overhaul since six months, waiting for cylinders. I talked to Lycoming at AERO Friedrichshafen. They said they’re not delivering any cylinders at the moment and can’t give any estimates. They’re blaming their own parts suppliers. The shop where we have the engine on overhaul say they have 1000 cylinders on back order with Lycoming. It’s quite unbelievable.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 05 May 12:30
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

skydriller wrote:

52 weeks for cylinders? Which, out of interest?

IO-360-C1C.

We are in a similar situation as Airborne_Again. All the shops report the same more or less.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Now, we are paying the price for most of the shops having lost the skill to repair cylinders….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hartzell just advised us that they are finally ready to deliver my propeller, which was ordered in September.

It’s a massive supply problem indeed.

I heard from a colleague who wanted to upgrade his avionics that his installer gets lead times of up to 1 year on Garmin components. He subsequently elected to switch to a different manufacturer who can deliver.

Rumours are that some of the delays in prop and engine part manufacturing have to do with the ressources of the manufacturers being diverted for military applications due to current affairs, i.e. supply and provide parts for drones.

Airborne_Again wrote:

The shop where we have the engine on overhaul say they have 1000 cylinders on back order with Lycoming. It’s quite unbelievable.

Wow. That is crazy. I wonder if it would not be feasible under these condition to work with reconditioned (honed) cylinders which are to spec rather than go for the usual exchange.

However, this explains that when we gave our engine for sudden stoppage inspection they advised against “betterment” to a full overhaul due to the parts situation. And that was already in October 21, so this can’t be really explained with the current crisis.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This is all off topic though

I was talking about aircraft owners suspending upgrades because (it appears) they think the war will spread and they won’t be flying at all.

The component supply situation is much older than the war.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one