Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

License issue time from Austro Control

Just for posterity took 5 months to transfer SOLI medical from Spain to Austria. But it’s finally done ☺️.

Rus
Spain

I don’t think you need to go via FSDO for 61.75

Actually, you are highly advised to ask a freelance DPE to issue you one if your “access to Federal buildings” require Pentagon Protocol and POTUS signoff with 2 months SLA

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Any license or rating in the US is delivered immediately after the checkride by the DPE via a temporary paper license valid for 60 days (this may be the Covid time frame, could be 30 under normal circumstances, can’t remember) and you’re good to go. The ‘tech solution’ that runs all that in the background is called IACRA and that’s where all your data live. If you have a standalone FAA license, you never set foot in a FSDO, this is only for the ‘piggyback’ 61.75 licenses. There are some situations where you have to show up in person, but they usually have to do with a name or other mismatch on some docs. Happened to me once.

Only issuing a “based on” 61.75 certificate requires a visit to an FSDO or a specially authorised examiner.

Off topic: currently doable over Zoom; see other thread. But the details of DPEs who do it are not being publicised widely (I get asked a lot but usually refuse to people who are not participating here) because vested interests are trying to stop it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Depends what “this” is. Issuing an ab initio licences is done by the examiner. You put the application and supporting data into IACRA, the examiner prints a temporary certificate, signs it and hands it over to you so you are good to fly, and the plastic card arrives in the post after a while. No FSDO visits involved.

That is for everything where you do a checkride, and includes those checkrides done after the minimum FAA training with credit for having a licence or rating issued by a different country.

Only issuing a “based on” 61.75 certificate requires a visit to an FSDO or a specially authorised examiner.

There is no equivalent of changing the “state of licence issue” in the US, the closest would be a change of address..

Biggin Hill

Even more interesting: They told me I had to – and when I showed up at the FSDO (in my case in Anchorage) nobody created an impression of “oh, why did you come here – didn’t you know that all of this can also be done by internet?!?”

Germany

It is not so long ago (3 years in my case) that in the US you had to show up at the FSDO in person to get this done – happy to hear that the US have a tech solution for this now….

You didn’t. I never went to any FSDO for my PPL CPL or IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rus wrote:

Coming from USA this baffles me why this can’t be instantly solved via tech (I get that it crosses many countries but still).

It is not so long ago (3 years in my case) that in the US you had to show up at the FSDO in person to get this done – happy to hear that the US have a tech solution for this now….

Germany

Thank you, I really hope it does not take a year to get issued. Coming from USA this baffles me why this can’t be instantly solved via tech (I get that it crosses many countries but still). Is this all due just to crazy backlog due to brexit and covid. I hate knowing that I have to wait to fly just for one individual putting in a stamp (no offense to that one person if they are on this board :))

Rus
Spain

SOLIs, yes.

always learning
LO__, Austria
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message