Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

dublinpilot wrote:

I’m surprised that the fuel dump is so close to the exhaust of the aircraft

I’m surprised these aircraft are equipped to dump fuel at all!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I suspect the Russkies didn’t realise the drone was filming them. I mean, would you do that knowing it will be on YT the next day?

But I guess once you acquire a reputation for total mediocrity, you are past caring

I would expect an aircraft built to Russian safety standards to dump the pilot if the g exceeds 4.5

I once spoke to a UK pilot, ex F4, who said he flew a Mig, and the lack of backups etc on it was atrocious.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, puzzling.. Completely guessing but all I can think of is dumping fuel decreases weight and increases manoeuverability. When attacked being full of fuel that may help a bit.

Last Edited by aart at 16 Mar 18:05
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Can’t lots of military aircraft dump fuel? I thought it was an f111 party trick to dump it then set light to it with the afterburner.

A ‘random walk’ mode where the drone varied altitude suddenly and unpredictably and often, might discourage such tricks.

Two things surprise me a bit here:
- it looks as if only one prop blade was bent. Couldn’t they have at least tried to fly he back to base? Or was there other, not reported, damage?
- I would have thought these drones had some sort of self-destruction mechanism so as not to fall into enemy hands. Doesn’t seem like it.

All the blades are pitched differently, so I think the hub was destroyed also.

had some sort of self-destruction mechanism so as not to fall into enemy hands.

There will be stuff like stealth and radar tech there, but the software will prob99 self destruct. No idea how it is done nowadays but I know that in the 1990s a lot of mil tech used RAM based FPGA chips which lose their content when the power fails. I think they must have been loaded up before launch.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve heard that there were many passes – this is just two of them. I’m not formation flying trained, but the boys that I know who are were shocked at the horrible intercept procedure.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

It looks like good fun, it has to be said.

This kind of maneuvering, including ramming the adversary, has been the standard trick of Russian pilots ever since WWII. In the post-war USSR, intentional airprox incidents were especially typical over the sea at the border with Norway and off the Pacific coast.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message