Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Peter wrote:

It’s been totally obvious

Of course no political leader is going to say those actual words because it would sound callous.

Ok, so it what you expect that political leaders thought. Maybe it is not so totally obvious as you feel the need to say it over and over again.

Henry Kissinger would have understood immediately.

Of that I have no doubt.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 08 Dec 09:51
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Interestingly the link I posted above says

Reading more about it, there are reports that Ukraine got 50k-300k rounds from S. America, and that is all they have.

The rounds seem to be dumb but with some kind of feature to make them harder to copy. Standard 35mm stuff will not fit in the mechanism. The vehicle uses its radar to work out the target trajectory and fires at an extrapolated point; it does not use radar to follow where the rounds are actually going.

I also read that NATO contracts have had a “no Swiss manufacturing” clause in them for many years. Another factor in phasing out the Gepard, perhaps.

you feel the need to say it over and over again

On the contrary, you feel the need to have a pop at me repeatedly But, hey, I don’t have a PhD, I am just a normal hardware/software engineer, and currently writing in C (which nobody would be seen dead writing in at a UNIVERSITY) so I really don’t have any intellectual standard to live up to

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Henry Kissinger would have understood immediately.

I bet he is following this whole thing with interest.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I bet he is following this whole thing with interest.

I bet he’s following this thread.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thank you. Finding out that Henry Kissinger is still alive made me feel a bit younger, until I looked it up and it turns out he is 99! Having the perspecive on the current affairs from somebody born in 1923 and who has seen first hand how WW2 developed would be very interesting…

Biggin Hill

“I told him to turn the bloody tape recorder off but he wouldn’t listen!”

This is his secret to living to 99

Administrator

LeSving wrote:

Probably, and it for sure cannot use more of them, or they run out of ammunition It’s the ammunition that is the special thing about it by the looks of it, maybe some sort of proximity fuse, or on the fly programmable? It’s basically an automatic, radar driven, AAA after all, flack.

The shells are programmable. I posted a YT video of how they work a few pages earlier.

Basically the velocity of each shell is measured during the time they travel through the barrel and then at the muzzle the fuse is electronically programmed for a set detonation time based on radar data and calculated distance to target.

Very cleverly made.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

OK; sorry I missed that.

That raises a number of issues.

One is that it will be a huge amount of work to replicate them, especially if there is no documentation. It could well be impossible; if I was doing such a system (and I do a lot of stuff intended to be “impenetrable”) I would put some crypto in there. OTOH this thing goes back to the 1980s (I mean the later upgrade, not the original) so it probably doesn’t contain a microprocessor, and if it did they would be having a hell of a time getting hold of whatever device they used 40 years ago. Probably they use some pulse sequence to load up a digital timer, but still… Actually this may not be so new; the 777 howitzer has a muzzle velocity meter on it and I wonder what that does. Whoever procured this system (so clearly designed to be single sourced) needs their head examined!

Another problem is that the ammo contains “electronics” which is vulnerable to humidity etc, unless totally sealed.

Administrator

“I told him to turn the bloody tape recorder off but he wouldn’t listen!”

Reminds me of what Nixon once supposedly said, or words to that effect: “There are two man-made things one can see from the moon looking at the earth. The Chinese wall and Henry Kissinger’s ego”. I guess Tricky Dick was a bit jealous of Henry’s intellect.

Yes, assuming Kissinger is still firing on all cylinders, and even if there are some missing that may not be a problem, it would be interesting to hear his take on Ukraine, and other world events for that matter.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Search for “henry kissinger ukraine” on youtube and your wish will be granted.

Sign in to add your message