Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Peter wrote:

Oh and don’t forget that almost nobody will criticise their own country on our international forum

Oh I do that regularly actually I criticise deviations in my country, so I believe I have right to do so for other countries as well.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Oh and don’t forget that almost nobody will criticise their own country on our international forum The reaction to “foreigner criticism” varies from passive (Brits; everybody slags them off) to explosive (I won’t give examples).

This is more of a linguistic thing. If you don’t speak or read Norwegian (or French, or German or insert any language), what possible relevant criticism can you give about the politics? You are disqualified from the start, simple as that. Western countries are all the same, more or less, it’s the nuances that may or may not create differences. To understand those nuances and not mistake them for something else, you really have to know the language as a minimum. Everyone knows English, and it’s still difficult to understand the politics in the USA or UK. The mindset in US politics in particular, is a bit different generally speaking.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
his is more of a linguistic thing

@Peter, maybe it is time to merge this thread …. with the “Language Proficiency” one?

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

I’ve been reading that almost all of the Panzerhaubitze 2000 self propelled guns have packed up (electronics failures) and have been shipped to Poland for repair. Is this true?

I don’t think the problems are that severe, but have read reports in German media that several of them have worn out barrels or other mechanical issues, which is unsurprising as they are reportedly firing on average 300 155 mm shells a day.

And there have been reports that the German defense ministry forgot to order the necessary spare parts, which would be stereotypical (the Bundeswehr has an infamously low readiness of its aircraft, armoured vehicles and ships thanks to its bureaucracy “forgetting” or being unable to organise sufficient stocks of spare parts.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

which is unsurprising as they are reportedly firing on average 300 155 mm shells a day.

The manufacturer should be so grateful for this level of field testing, they should supply free consumables for ever.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The manufacturer should be so grateful for this level of field testing, they should supply free consumables for ever.

Indeed. This war is the best ever field test for the PzH 2000 and the Gepard, the latter of which was never used in anger before while the former only fired a few shells at some Taliban that couldn’t retaliate, so no comparison to the current full-scale war.

This of course also applies to most of the other western weaponry delivered. All NATO members will be certain to take note which systems perform well and which don’t.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 22 Nov 09:03
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

Just my opinion, but I’d suggest looking closer to home for that kind of behavior @MedEwok, particularly in regard to the bright future of Europe without adequate defense or secure energy, as preached to you by your ‘leaders’ over the last twenty or so years. A completely brainless philosophy in reality, noted by those overseas but despite that unrecognized by the brainwashed masses of e.g. Germany.

All it took was the arrival of the current similarly incompetent US Federal administration two years ago and it all came crashing down as Putin saw his chance.

@Silvaire
The comparison doesn’t hold. Our leaders did not use outright lies and deception in a way those whom I mentioned or hinted at did.

Rather, they were naive and deceived mainly themselves. Of course this also applies to the electorate who voted for them (e.g
Merkel) repeatedly.

Also, there are no “brainwashed” masses in Germany except perhaps if you count the very successful de-nazification campaign and western cultural influence after WWII. This transformed our culture from a martial one which held itself to be superior to all others to a rather pacifist one which only holds itself morally superior (a flaw which often informs policy decisions that appear strange to outsiders, and are objectively flawed in most cases).

Be assured that the implications of the last twenty years or so of German policies have come under heavy domestic scrutiny following the Russian Invasion. This is especially true of the topics of energy security and defense, as pointed out by you.

There is now a broad consensus that we need to dramatically improve our defense forces as well as secure alternate energy sources rather than keep relying on non-democratic countries like Russia for our needs. How exactly to achieve that is of course heavily debated and will depend on the political leaning of whomever you ask.

Last Edited by MedEwok at 22 Nov 09:41
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Ukrainian estimate of Russia’s stocks

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Ukrainian estimate of Russia’s stocks

Sounds plausible. So the Russians aren’t “running dry” of warheads anytime soon, but they certainly cannot keep up massive attacks on several hundred targets for very long and have to pick targets much more carefully for their most valuable missiles (Kaliber, Kinschal, Iskander)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

That is a bit of a useless classification (by launch platform, rather by what they can attack)

Of the three ground based missiles, only the Iskander is a ground attack missile, the Onyx is anti-ship and the S-300 is anti-aircraft.

The Kalibr has anti-ship and anti-submarine variants, so some of the remaining inventory might not be ground attack. Some of the air-launched missiles on the list are also normally anti-ship.

An anti-ship missiles are different and a bit of a waste used on land targets (they have hardware to hit moving heavily armed targets which is not needed to hit power stations, and warheads designed to penetrate ship hulls), but even including them overall it looks like Russia has expended more than half of their ground attack capability.

So yes, they can keep it up for quite some time, but less than it looks like at first sight…

Last Edited by Cobalt at 22 Nov 14:12
Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message