Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Mooney_Driver wrote:

why else is Pristina Airport coded BIKF.

BIKF is Keflavík in Iceland
Pristina is BKPR.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The Korean DMZ does nothing. It is just a pretence. The only thing which stops Kim having a go south is the US.

Re Aart’s post above:

I think I did write something similar earlier. The final settlement is quite likely to involve some land going to Russia, because the “Putin lovers” need to live somewhere but obviously not in Russia because Russia is a dump and they like their bourgeois luxuries like a €200 Indesit washing machine The concept of “proletariat” ranks alongside “useful idiot” and is very useful but nobody actually wants that label.

In return for giving up some land, Ukraine will get lots of money for reconstruction, EU, NATO, and be heavily armed because everybody knows Putin (or his successor(s)) will have another go – because expansion, war, pillage, etc is the very definition of Russia. The best future scenario with Russia is containment. One might dream of some Gorbachov character reappearing but the population won’t have it.

But it is way too early to be doing a deal on this, when things are going Ukraine’s way.

FWIW, this is from the FT

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I think I did write something similar earlier. The final settlement is quite likely to involve some land going to Russia, because the “Putin lovers” need to live somewhere but obviously not in Russia because Russia is a dump and they like their bourgeois luxuries like a €200 Indesit washing machine The concept of “proletariat” ranks alongside “useful idiot” and is very useful but nobody actually wants that label.

Since the February invasion, Ukraine’s stance on annexed territories has only become harder, and NATO countries seem to support that. It has also become a consensus among the anti-Russian coalition that the only proper way to end this war is a military defeat of Russia, which obviously implies the restoration of internationally recognised borders.
On the other hand, both annexed regions have been problematic even without the war. Donbass is a typical mining region: economically, environmentally and socially distressed. Crimea has been suffering from fresh water shortage in the inland areas (with water being supplied from mainland Ukraine) as well as property-related corruption and rentier mentality in the coastal resort towns. Someone has to clean up this mess no matter what, and it’s known that Russia’s standard policy in such regions amounts to tokenism. Russia’s desire to retain these regions has more to do with imperial ambitions than with the strategic interests commonly declared.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

BIKF is Keflavík in Iceland
Pristina is BKPR.

ROFL, yes, sorry. Not that I’ve not been there too many times. (BKPR).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Ultranomad wrote:

Someone has to clean up this mess no matter what

It’s also interesting and encouraging to see that Ukraine appears to reckognize their own corruption problem. That is something which has ruined many countries and in a situation they are in, it is important that they sort it out. Which, of course, is MUCH easier said than done. In most of those countries, corruption is a way of life unfortunately, openly or hiddenly sanctioned by those governments as they don’t want to pay their people properly…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Sometimes true change (e.g. rooting out corruption) can only happen in a crisis. In Britain, the class system was weakened by WW1. Perhaps there’s even hope for Russia.

kwlf wrote:

Perhaps there’s even hope for Russia.

Also our friends in Ukraine, who are certainly on a par where corruption is involved, allegedly….

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_Ukraine

https://www.occrp.org/en/the-pandora-papers/pandora-papers-reveal-offshore-holdings-of-ukrainian-president-and-his-inner-circle

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 27 Jan 15:43
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

That Zelensky stuff is prob99 Russian misinformation. He is not poor so is an easy target.

But for sure the best time to wipe out corruption is during martial law. It was never done in Europe in peacetime. EU membership made no difference. Greece, Spain, Croatia, and some which only a resident is allowed to mention Plus some which pay huge bribes – of the order of 100M € – to get export business. Not to mention EU money which is tied to purchases from certain countries… Look at what Greece is full of.

Deloitte & Co are already in Ukraine doing their usual crooked audits, this time on weapons. Merrill Lynch and the rest will follow shortly to cook the books so Brussels can look the other way.

But the big picture is to get Russia out.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That Zelensky stuff is prob99 Russian misinformation

Like Conspiracy theorists, Covidiots, West mis information on Russia and Putin. Trump winning 76 million votes blah blah.

Holocaust day today, whilst Israel blows up Palestinians in their caged camps, oh the irony.

Plenty of fact checked stuff, wonder why we need this new thingy (Fact check), on Ukraine.

It is not a dig. Personally I want balance, not a one sided perceptive view. We were and now are in a Proxy war. Ukraine and all the poor souls that have died are irrelevant. When the US and Russia decide the games are over then it will end. Until that point it will continue.

However this is my point of view and not that held by others. Note to self no more Covid threads, nor excess deaths.

That would be mis information.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 27 Jan 17:36
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

If I were Zelensky I would certainly want to keep some money overseas. Perhaps things will be different after the war, but realpolitik is that he was always fairly likely to become an exile for the rest of his life.

He was a successful actor and businessman, and the values of the properties that he owns sounded to me ‘businessman class’ rather than ‘oligarch class’.

Sign in to add your message