Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Russian invasion of Ukraine

We have some special rules for this thread, in addition to the normal EuroGA Guidelines. The basic one is that EuroGA will not be a platform for pro Russian material. For that, there are many sites on the internet. No anti Western posts. Most of us live in the "West" and enjoy the democratic and material benefits. Non-complying posts will be deleted and, if the poster is a new arrival, he will be banned.

Peter wrote:

Germany published a list of kit supplied to Ukraine – here. This is impressive

Yes indeed. The oft repeated claim that Germany wouldn’t support Ukraine properly is obviously bogus, as the list shows. However one can still argue about the lack of tanks on the list.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

All NATO members will be certain to take note which systems perform well and which don’t.

Yes (number two) In the news today. There have been lots of anti aircraft manpads used in Ukraine. Norway has also given away several different types, used by both the army and navy. Allegedly what really works well in Ukraine against aircraft and drones is the Polish PPZR Piorun. It is now being stock piled by the US, Estonia and now Norway (together with Poland and Ukraine).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What does this bit do? The old Strela has the same

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

What does this bit do? The old Strela has the same

The cylindrical part is a battery, the ball is a storage vessel for compressed gas (nitrogen or argon) to cool the infrared sensor.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 30 Nov 10:29
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Great video out of a Gepard getting a Russki cruise missile

Another wave of 70 so far; 60 shot down.

Never thought we would see this in “Europe”. Angola, Yemen…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Never thought we would see this in “Europe”.

Wait and see. If things go as they are you might be able to take such pics yourself in the future….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Never thought we would see this in “Europe”. Angola, Yemen…

Me neither but then the war came to my backyard 30 years ago. When it was approaching Ukraine a year ago, I clearly recognized it would happen just by comparing it with my experience.

Last Edited by Emir at 06 Dec 12:18
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Wait and see. If things go as they are you might be able to take such pics yourself in the future….

I don’t believe in doom and gloom and end of the world coming tomorrow. Otherwise, why not just give up and shoot myself.

Ukraine will win this one. The final settlement will be interesting, because Putin can’t really climb down.

Yesterday they blew up 2 Russian airbases, apparently using 30-40 year old drones which were not known to exist outside museums One quite close to Moscow. So instead of getting ~150 missiles they got ~70 and shot down ~60 of those.

The thing I like about Ukraine is that they outsmart the Russians at every step, all the way from WW1 trench warfare to making cunning use of technology.

When it was approaching Ukraine a year ago, I clearly recognized it would happen just by comparing it with my experience.

Lessons will be learnt Europe will re-arm. Well, for a year or two, then it will be back to using the US

This is not great:

Supply of ammunition for the Gepard has proven problematic as Switzerland, which has stocks of ammunition, refuses to supply it, citing its neutral status.

I read somewhere that Norway had some (30mm) but it didn’t fit.

I guess this proves my comment above about using the US I mean, a neutral country in Europe is like sitting in a pit of cobras with “I am neutral” tatooed on your forehead.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Supply of ammunition for the Gepard has proven problematic as Switzerland, which has stocks of ammunition, refuses to supply it, citing its neutral status.

It IS problematic and severely damages Switzerlands reputation in the west. The Swiss are shooting themselves in the foot here, as the Swiss company which is producing the 30 mm ammunition is a subsidiary of Rheinmetall and they are already considering moving the production back home to Germany.

Countries which don’t export the military supplies when needed soon won’t have much customers left.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

This states

Ukrainian troops say Gepard mobile antiaircraft systems donated by Germany have proven effective at stopping Russian-operated drones made in Iran. The Ukrainian crews say they can detect the drones at a distance of 16 kilometers. But they add that they must use the Swiss-made ammunition judiciously because Bern bans its export to Ukraine.

which sounds like Swiss have a monopoly and Ukraine is just getting existing German stocks. But can’t CH ban the export of that too?

This says the Norwegian shells can be used, so was the Russian stuff BS?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message