Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Energy crisis & inflation : will GA survive in Europe ?

@Ibra I don’t understand. Some 15 years ago we had a Kappa 77 that did regularly ~220-230 km/h out of 80hp on around 20 litres per hour.

I lost track but am sure there are a lot better designs out there. And you could buy second-hand on 5 digits for sure.

If I wouldn’t need those 5-6 seats practically every time,I’d fly smaller…

Germany

I don’t know the type but Wikipedia says maximum cruise speed is 130kts for Kappa77

I am sure if this is true? “eco cruise speed” = “max cruise speed” = 130kts??

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 May 21:47
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

“PS: I have yet to see 130TAS at 25L/h in two or four seats Rotax that you can buy under 200k$”
Are you talking new for the 200k$ or will secondhand do?

France

Rotax is 30 years old, so plenty of new efficient & affordable Rotax stuff

SF25, HK36 fall under 50k$ but are sub 100kts

Virus SW121 hits 200k$ and can reach 120kts, I guess 2nd hand would fit the bill, still not 130kts touring machine

DA40 & SR20 with Rotax 912?

Ibra wrote:

I don’t know the type but Wikipedia says maximum cruise speed is 130kts for Kappa77

@Ibra I can confirm that I flew regularly 125 knots indicated in the Kappa Sova. It is not economical, in terms of (ab)using a 80hp Rrrrotax, because fuel consumption is 20 litres per hour or even a bit more (but definitely south of 25 litres). Where one could easily fly around 15 litres per hour maybe 20% slower.

However, already this example fulfils what you wanted. And there are much sleaker designs. There is the DynAero MCR01 which is said to be faster. And there is the Shark (though new costs more than 200k I think). And there are lots more in this class with retractable gear. But as I said I lost track of actual microlight designs, because I turned towards more seats.

Last Edited by UdoR at 28 May 08:07
Germany

I was thinking more along the lines of the WT9 Dynamic or the Shark.
The MCR4S would come pretty close but it depends whether you comparing IAS or TAS.
For me I like to see cruise quoted as IAS I can calculate the TAS at the altitude I wish to fly.
I like to see fuel performance quoted as nm per litre (I prefer the use of litres) but if it is quoted per gallon I like to see whether it is US gal or imperial gallons.
I look for useful load and for range.
I also look for take off + landing distance required.
IMO these are the figures needed to compare the performance of aircraft more readily.
The type of fuel can make a difference to cost, but the convenience of that fuel is also a factor.
Eg Avgas might not be available at the airport but probably, neither will mogas. But mogas may be available nearby.
If you build and maintain your own aircraft, it has got to be cheaper. But you need a lot of confidence in your own abilities to do this and may be Part ML somewhere between DIY and professional maintenance is more suited to an owner. (providing the professional maintenance company has professional standards, not all do.)
In this area I would like to see Europe becoming much more like the USA, its gradually shifting, but not there yet.
In terms of avionics equipment, the home and kit built market are way ahead of the certified.
Dan’s RV might have more advanced avionics than all but the newest of aircraft. But if those avionics don’t suit him, he can change them. I would not say it was painless but a damn sight easier or possible than making changes to a certified aircraft. Yet even if he has top of the range avionics capable of navigating any route or IAP that any airline would be proud of, why is he not able to fly these routes IFR in many countries. If it works and if it can be demonstrated it works, and the pilot is qualified to do it why not?
Sorry Peter off topic please edit as you see fit.

France

Indeed, the MCR EVO 4S has 4 seats (will be in CNSK kits for France) with 150KTAS on 140HP turbo Rotax, 450kg payload and show about 130KTAS on 25L/h…I think it’s the only 4 seats kit aircraft I come across that beats JetA DA40NG perfs? (ignoring Turbine Lancairs)

The price is +250k$ though

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 May 09:00

It is one of the reasons I asked if secondhand was included. My friend has one but at the moment it seems to be using rather a lot of oil. We think it’s an oil breather problem but haven’t had chance to check out yet. I also need to make sure he is using the type of oil you would use in a car rather than aviation oil which the Rotax doesn’t like. He’ll be glad of that it saves quite a lot of money when it comes to oil changes.

France

Ibra wrote:

Virus SW121 hits 200k$ and can reach 120kts

It can reach 130KTAS with less than 25l/h at FL80 (POH numbers are 22,4 for 133 at FL) and I believe it can be bought new for just under 200k€. It’s a nice VFR tourer for two with luggage room for a credit card and a (one) toothbrush. Remove the wheel spats and gap seals and it is down to 120 knots true. This really shows that there is no free lunch in aviation. Innovation just can’t defy physics.

With cars it is actually not much different. Most consumption improvements from the past 20 years optimized the consumption at idle or barely above idle which is all you need for city traffic. At 75% power not much has been gained.

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

At 75% power not much has been gained.

I’ve once driven the Audi A2 1.2, year of manufacture 2001, which consumed less than 3 litres per 100 km. I regularly went 1200 km on 32-33 litres. Wouldn’t have sold it, but someone crashed into it. So, no, nothing has been gained in the last 20 years of car construction. But we’ll see what BEVs will change in the car world.

Regarding survival of GA, I can’t stop saying that flight schools are full, and even more so after Covid.

Germany
Sign in to add your message