Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Strange winter high pressure

It is rare to see these pressure values, together with this frontal picture

and this is the result – OVC004 and heavy drizzle

This shows the tops around 6000ft, and blue skies and great vis above that (possibly some haze around 20000ft)

More commonly, a winter high pressure is a very thin layer, as discussed e.g. here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ultra high air pressure is quite common in Winter in central Europe, I recall values of up to 1040 QNH e.t.c. It is worse in some parts of the world (e.g. Russia) where 1050+ sometimes presents a problem because most altimeters can’t handle qnh’s like that.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

This was published in the end of January 2012, the Swedish fighter aircraft JAS could not get airborne due to the pressure being a whooping 1057hpa.

https://sverigesradio.se/artikel/4939359 ( Google translated: https://sverigesradio-se.translate.goog/artikel/4939359?x_tr_sl=auto&x_tr_tl=en&_xtrhl=sv)

Antwerp at the moment…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Nice for us in the Cote d’Azur though! Over a week of unbroken sunshine!

LFMD, France

The current HIGH is also a lot more powerful than anything I recall seeing before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

Nice for us in the Cote d’Azur though! Over a week of unbroken sunshine!

Yea, also here in ZRH, apart from morning fog. I live some 40 m higher than Zurich airport level and it has mainly been sunny here all week.

Peter wrote:

The current HIGH is also a lot more powerful than anything I recall seeing before.

In what way? It is a pretty large High but with a center pressure of around 1030 right now absolutely normal for the time of the year.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 15 Jan 10:58
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Today, yesterday forcast was CAVOK

We landed at LeHavre with 300ft ceiling & 3km visibility

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message