Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your 2021 flying year, how many hours, and aspirations for 2022?

Hi Peter. Just have a few loose screws. And not smart enough how to figure out how to reply to a comment…..

Pig
If only I’d known that….
EGSH. Norwich. , United Kingdom

It’s not even that bad:
54:35 hr PIC, of which 49:05 Cirrus SR22 and 05:30 Piper Archer III
Destinations: EBOS, EHTX, EHGG, EHMZ, EHAL, LFOP, LESO,LFLY, LHBS, ESGP, EDLS, LFSN

2021 flying plans:
Do the Instrument Rating and have some IFR training sessions with lots of intense workouts.

2021 reality:
Learn all the technical stuff there is to know about owning a plane. Doing first annual and some minor repairs.
Get to intimately know all possible odd behaviours of my plane.
Skip the IFR training and do some nice VFR flying. Family loves flying, so all perfect. In the end also did some IFR flying on the right seat, hand-flying in the clouds and doing COM. Learned a lot this way. Also had plenty of time this way to get used to all of the instruments. It was some sort of training of course, however with some nice destination.

2022 flying plans: finish the IR theory ASAP and thereafter, we’ll see. Got used to flying VFR, and already have quite some plans to go to this year, so hopefully it’ll be a mix of learning and flying.

Germany

Plenty of inspiration in this thread

I subscribed to a new club dedicated to tailwheels, so hopefully an endorsement is a reasonable objective for 2021. But for now the runway is mud
This club does its own maintenance, so I hope to learn some skills along the way.

Well, less than 20 hours done, including 40 min solo, and not yet in final stage for the TW endorsement. I can land the thing but not in a wide enough range of conditions to be left alone, especially on hard runways. I had many interruptions between muddy runway, lock downs, lack of time… Being married, my list of people to stay in touch with has about quadrupled, and it takes time away from flying. And until i get endorsed, aviation time is lone time, not spouse time. So kind of a vicious circle. It comes to the point that flying becomes an annoyance instead of a pleasure.
Heavily studied 2 aircraft purchase to make flying more practical/fun, but financially I am now glad I didn’t jump.

Overall, aviation came down on my priority list this year, as my forum participation.

For 2022, aspirations are very reasonable with a first kid on the way. Renewing my SEP with 6h solo before September would feel really nice. A seaplane discovery flight would be cool, especially for my wife who dreams of it. Making a travel abroad, even alone, seems unreal to me now.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 05 Jan 17:36
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

A seaplane discovery flight would be cool, especially for my wife who dreams of it. Making a travel abroad, even alone, seems unreal to me now.

I would recommend Como for the Seaplane. Well I could also mention Trondheim, but we still need to do the required maintenance on the floats, before we can put the Skywagon back on them, not sure when that will be possible.

For myself, I’ve done more hours than usual, a little over 50 hours, being a CRI does help :-). Hoping to be able to travel around Norway in 2022, especially towards the North…

ENVA, Norway

Well. Looking at the last 5 years threads my goal was always the same. Get that SEP rating back. Well, it did not happen in 2021 either. In fact, no time logged, not one hour. Reasons? In the first 9 months no time whatsoever. Family, publishing my wife’s children’s book, travelling to see family and property in BG and bang it was September 3rd. That is when my plane did an almost gear up landing as you know. I WOULD have had time in September and November to redo the rating, but the plane is out till at least February as Hartzell have a 6 months lead time on props. So another totally dissatisfying year in terms of flying, but on the other hand, working on that book with my wife and seeing it published finally was great fun and worth that. (We still got a couple of hundred: Children’s book in German 5+ about a camel farm near Zurich Airport. If you want one, lemme know by PM, special EuroGA conditions apply )

The airplane did quite nicely before it’s near loss, some 50 hours were flown by several pilots.

Personal goal unchanged: See above. Get that SEP rating back and quite possibly see if I can get some form of IR back. Will see how to go about the latter, BIR would be enough for me really, but in fact, as I used to have the full IR before (eons ago) somehow I wanna do it right.

Airplane: Want to get the wings resprayed if possible and the Com 2 (KY155) replaced by either a 2nd GNS430W or something else which can do 8.33 and has a nav part. Someone said he has a spare non WAAS 430A, so maybe that would be a possibility as it does do 8.33 and has a full ILS portion: Would get me two fully equipped racks for 2 Avidynes if I ever win the lottery.

Main goal is to get back independence from the airlines and maybe do another BG flight if at all possible in IFR. Will see. I give the chance to do the SEP back maybe 40% this year (was about 1% last) and doing the IR 10%. Otherwise there may be a real nice M20C for sale sometime this spring, as long as the prices are still insane as they are.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

2021 plans:
CPL+FI + extend the existing ratings, fly at least 100 hours
actual:
CPL passed, ratings extended, bought a plane (this was not planned I was just thinking about it for some time now)
around 50 hours flown
2022 plans :
FI, SE IR, ratings extension, and fly 100 hours at least. Fly to Croatia, Germany (Wasserkuppe), Slovenia, Austria.

LHFM, LHTL, Hungary

robirdus wrote:

Germany (Wasserkuppe)

Sorry to say that but it’s not easy any more to land there, if you’re not a local. It’s not impossible, but you need training with a local FI first to get permission, which lapses after 6 months. So sadly I removed Wasserkuppe from my personal list…

Germany

After a 3 year lapse got back to flying. Regained SEP and IR without much trouble within couple of hours training. On deciding for my next plane flew across Europe in SF50 with an instructor. Nice plane, very roomy and excellent view out of the front window. Ultimately went for a used TBM900 that was for sale at my home base. Gained SET rating and did dual hours required for the insurance. In total around 80 hours in 2021. This year hopefully finish the UPRT and regain the Courchevel rating. Expect some 100 hours.

EHBD, Netherlands

Also in short;

2021 Plans: To complete my Instrument Rating and fly some International IFR
2021 Actual: Complete the Instrument Rating and flew 66 hours 30 minutes, and just the one Intl IFR flight.
2022 Plans: Fly 100 hours and complete multiple International IFR trips in Europe & Maybe Beyond*

2021 Report; https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/13552-your-2021-flying-year-how-many-hours-and-aspirations-for-2022/post/305071#305071

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message