Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YouTuber bails out due to stopped engine (looks like it was staged)

Emir wrote:

Totally staged. Plus irritating

Yes, the YouTuber culture is to create the most dramatic semi-believable mess and monetise it. Insert block capital video caption like Aborted Take Off, The Impossible Turn, Engine Out etc. My 8-year-old is glued to this rubbish on the TV. Sometimes I ask him if he wants to come flying, but he’s too busy watching someone play flight sim on YouTube.

I guess that guy had to trek back to the plane to get his valuable SD cards and to turn back on the Magnetos and or Fuel

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Emir wrote:

Totally staged

It might be. But then again, so might every youtube-accident/incident and whatnot else out there be. Why do you thing this accident is “totally staged”? Let’s pretend for a minute this is NOT staged as a fact. To me, this then show a pilot who has really prepared himself for what sometimes happens out in the bush in a SEP. The engine quits, which is an order of magnitude more serious affair than when this happens in the flatlands with landing spots often in every direction.

What is a little odd is he jumped out so fast. But this might simply be what he has drilled up front. If the engine quit, do this and that, then jump – ask questions later.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Why do you thing this accident is “totally staged”?

For a start, he was wearing a full skydiving parachute rig, and never wears a parachute in any previous videos. Also seems like the door was open before the engine even stopped. Happened to have a selfie stick ready to film himself in a much longer freefall than would make sense. I could go on…

Kent, UK

I think it’s staged because 1) even during the moment the engine quit he was only concerned with the cameras. Why on earth was he taking a selfie stick on board, and was more concerned in taking a good footage of the plane going down than himself finding a good landing spot with the chute. And 2) the engine outage was nothing serious. It was most probably fuel. And 3) not once did he make an attempt to restart the engine, having a terrain clearance of what looks like minimum 8k feet. If he was like 1000 feet above ground then ok maybe you don’t have time, but this?

Maybe he gains enough money with the YouTube video to refund the plane, but it hurts to see.

Germany

Utter garbage.

Forever learning
EGTB

Nice how he set up the camera to show his face drinking from a river while saying “Oh My God” continuously I don’t think it’s insurance fraud, there’s only $20K max loss in the whole thing. It’s just a stunt, self-publicizing nonsense.

BTW, in a real situation such as this I don’t think there’s a great deal one would do to attempt restarting the little Continental engine. You could dive it to get the engine windmilling (no starter motor is fitted typically) although that takes a lot of airspeed if it has a wooden prop. Then maybe pump the primer (if it had one) and the throttle to check for a carb problem. There generally is no accelerator pump on the throttle either. Possibly the most useful thing would be to pump the elevator to free up a stuck carb float. Stromberg floats have been known to stick closed. The way it stopped sounded like he shut off the fuel valve regardless.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 27 Dec 18:08

I think the failure mode was him running it dry deliberately. Means no post-crash fire and risk to his footage. Also clear that the fuel system has been messed with.

Also fits with the door opening slightly before failure. He knows what’s going to happen but not precisely when, so he’s ready and poised. It coughs a bit and he starts the process of getting out, but then it runs a bit longer. Only once he’s sure it has stopped for good does he get out.

EGLM & EGTN

What a load of BS. Other than all the other things already mentioned, the ‘ashes’ he has there are nowhere near the quantity of a cremated human. Guess he scooped up some sand somewhere. What a moron.

About 15 years ago, my mum brought her parents back from Czechoslovakia in a Sainsbury shopping bag (probably 2kg) so I watched that stupid video as far as that bit; it is obviously a total p1sstake of the 45.6% of homo sapiens who live on Youtube

But it is working:

It’s gonna be cold fusion next. Actually any kind of fusion would do.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anyone who still thinks this is not staged should look at his other videos. Just a short selection of titles:

• Motocross Jump Near Death Pastranaland
  • Freight Train Near Death Snowboard Jump
  • I Went To Prison For Train Hopping
    it goes on and on like that.

He’s good at filming and he has a death wish.

EDQH, Germany
Sign in to add your message