Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Europe - why not issue a certificate immediately on passing the skills test / checkride, like the US does?

This stupid practice results in a big loss of pilot currency – because you’ve been training hard up to this point and now cannot fly because you have to wait for your CAA to process the license application.

It’s probably a big factor in so many people giving up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fully agree.

EASA actually has a provision to tackle this problem. ARA.FCL.215. It is, as usually, the NAAs that oppose it.

German NAA has implemented it after some protest. URL

Local copy

always learning
LO__, Austria

It is issued immediately or a piece of paper is. The examiner records it on SIGIBEL and the proper licence arrives in the post about 2 days later. At least that’s what happens here.

France

Peter wrote:

It’s probably a big factor in so many people giving up.

Or running away to another CAA with a SOLI transfer

EBST

Snoopy wrote:

EASA actually has a provision to tackle this problem. ARA.FCL.215. It is, as usually, the NAAs that oppose it.

Sweden used to issue temporary certificates but stopped with part-FCL. The stated reason is that before EASA, they would do the necessary background checks before the first solo. In practice they issued a Student Pilot License. With EASA, they say they’re not allowed to do the background checks until the license is actually issued which is why they don’t issue temporary certificates.

I don’t know if this is true or not.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I got one in 2015.

But they don’t do that anymore

Last Edited by Dimme at 23 Nov 08:31
ESME, ESMS

Airborne_Again wrote:

necessary background checks before the first solo

What sort of checks are these?

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

What sort of checks are these?

Criminal records. I don’t know exactly what they are looking for, but I guess that if you have a driving under the influence conviction, you may be in trouble.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Or running away to another CAA with a SOLI transfer

I don’t think you can, if you don’t have a license to transfer.

Criminal records. I don’t know exactly what they are looking for, but I guess that if you have a driving under the influence conviction, you may be in trouble.

If the UK CAA is doing that, they are doing it very secretly

Also driving under influence etc has to be disclosed in the license application.

BTW you can get an instant certificate here for the IMC Rating, but apparently if the CAA see that you got that, they chuck your IMCR application to the back of the pile, so after 8 weeks you can’t use the IMCR anyway. But it is a lot better than nothing, because the IMCR/IR needs good currency, and your best currency is right after the checkride.

The whole business of denying the examiner issuing a certificate is bogus because anybody can fly without a license anyway. Just buy a plane and fly it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I don’t think you can, if you don’t have a license to transfer.

Well, something like that happened to me about three years ago. I had a UK EASA PPL SEP/TMG license which was current, with a SOLI I moved to Belgium (seeing the Brexit coming) the process (transfer of medical records GDPR stuff etc…) took that long that meanwhile I lost my validity. Finally I was given a licence with nothing anymore on it in term of validity thanks to the administrational efficiency. Result I had to fly with a BE examiner to get my SEP/TMG reinstated. It was an expensive undertaking. I was so happy to have my FAA license during this process…The funny thing is I did all these exam flying on my N reg with a BE examiner…:-). Thank you FAA :-). Anyway I am thinking of doing an EASA MEP and also doing the FAA ME after that …just my masochistic personality maybe :-)

EBST
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message