Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Regulation EU2020/877 (all EU airports have Customs without PNR/PPR)

Why is the discussion focusing on Schengen, when the thread subject is related to Customs?

I know that the two are very intertwined within „Europe“, but the thread EU regulation is specifically customs, so mixing in a Schengen discussion makes it really hard to sort out what is actually the topic here.

Last Edited by chflyer at 26 Nov 09:37
LSZK, Switzerland

That is not for the case on the French end of story, the AIP is rather clear GEN1.2 is customs (TA goods don’t require PoE) and GEN1.3 is immigrations (people require PoE for non-Shengen arrival), the National law talks about “people & merchandise” and put a legal requirement for landing in PoE for non-Shengen arrivals

At least for France, why do you want to talk about PoE for customs? unless you think Law & AiP got that wrong?

Of course if importing aircraft & goods you have to use customs airports in France (to do formalities and pay for duties), that is a no brainer, other than that you really have no customs or formalities requirement on intra-Shengen, especially under Art9 of the law for non-PoE airports, it can’t be more crystal clear than that !

On Swiss end of the flight, yes it has to “Customs Airports” even with the new EU law…

I was hoping to go Sion/Toussus again, although it’s winter that seems to prevents it rather than the lack of customs at Toussus

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Nov 12:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

LFHNflightstudent wrote:

Thanks all, will revert back.

As promised, I did get the below reply yesterday from French Customs.

Suite à plusieurs sollicitations au sujet des vols en provenance ou à destination de l’aéroport de Genève (LSGG), je vous confirme pour le moment que vous nêtes pas soumis au préavis douanier de 24h.
En revanche, il reste de votre obligation d’effectuer les démarches douanières auprès des collègues Français de l’aéroport en cas d’introduction ou d’exportation de marchandises ou de somme d’argent (prendre contact avec eux avant) et de vos obligations relevant de la DGAC.
Je vous confirme également que vous pourrez effectué des vols directs Bellegarde/LSGG sans passer par Annecy si vos obligations Douanières eventuelles sont éffectuées à l’aéroport de Genève.
Cependant les vols Bellegarde/Zurich restent proscrits. Vous devez passer obligatoire par un AIU et respecter les délais de préavis allant avec cet aéroport.
Je reviendrai vers vous ultérieurement sur ce sujet sous peu après la mise à plat des évolutions législatives futurs et actuelles (EES, ETIAS…).

Following several requests about flights from or to Geneva airport (LSGG), I can confirm for the moment that you are not subject to the 24-hour customs notice.
On the other hand, it remains your obligation to carry out customs procedures with French colleagues at the airport in the event of the introduction or export of goods or a sum of money (contact them beforehand) and your obligations under the DGAC.
I also confirm that you will be able to make direct Bellegarde / LSGG flights without going through Annecy if your possible Customs obligations are carried out at Geneva airport.
However, Bellegarde / Zurich flights remain prohibited. You must pass through an IAU and respect the notice periods going with that airport.
I will come back to you later on this subject shortly after reviewing future and current legislative developments (EES, ETIAS, etc.).

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

For Geneva, you may want to read Article 19, you can fly from any airport in France to Geneva, even from my ULM grass strip

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000035871866

Here is a summary of rules in France, ignoring current Schengen suspension, AIP/NOTAMS junk & noise and what you hear in club-house tales, there are 3 type of airports:

Now you have the following cases

France to/from Belgium (EU+Shengen+CU): you can fly to any airport with FPL, no PNR

France to/from Switzerland (Schengen but not in CU): you can fly to AD INT, PNR is 4h (ref: Art106 EU 2015/2446 for PNR and EU 2015/2447 for AD INT)
See Art9, Chap3: Art14-Art16, Chap4:17 https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/JORFTEXT000035871810
Out: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000006615467/2014-03-17
In: https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/codes/article_lc/LEGIARTI000006615654

Art19 Chap4: exception for Geneva https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000035871866
PS: people fly to AD PPF which is a safe bet IMO

France to/from Ireland (CU but not Schengen, or UK before Brexit): you have to fly to AD PPF
But there is exemption for ‘crew only flights’ where you can skip AD PPF and go to AD INT with 24h PNR to nearest PAF with pilot & co-pilot passports
Chap4: Art18 https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/article_jo/JORFARTI000035871865
AnnexVII Shengen code: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/FR/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX:32006R0562&from=SL#d1e32-30-1

Before Brexit you could fly direct UK/France without AS PPF as long as AD is INT (one can still do this for Ireland & Croatia)

It’s clear as mud but we ignored things like temporary admission, imported goods, commercial flying, customs issues of resident pilot flying non-resident aircraft, immigration for non-resident pob…these tend to push one to use PPF with 24h PNR !

Also, my understanding “Arrêté du 24 octobre 2017” will get updated with EU 2020/877 law soon but not sure if these changes will ever pass-trough to AIP by various AD operators, there is not much appetite to edit these…

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Dec 15:29

The list of customs aerodromes is not entirely correct though. As an example, Annemasse IS a customs aerodrome (several mostly Swiss pilots use it every year), but it‘s not on that list.

But the pricinples, as you describe them, are correct.

Plus, as you pointed out, in practice, it is different again, as the Dijon case shows.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Annemasse IS a customs aerodrome (several mostly Swiss pilots use it every year), but it‘s not on that list.

Yes I remember that one, do you know other examples? or it’s the only outlier?

No, for now I can‘t think of any other one which I know works for customs but is not on that list.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Dec 18:27
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks, funnily while digging Art45 (list of EU INT AD) in EU 2015/2447, I come across Art37/Art38: does the latter give concession to use non-INT airports stopovers (e.g. fuel stop, stretch legs…) as long as PNR and checks were given in the last INT AD? or I am dreaming of some “CAT/GA Aircraft entitlements” (say versus sailing boats, the text after suggest they need to get the gloves treatment at every port )

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32015R2447

(5) ‘international Union airport’ means any Union airport which, having been so authorised by the customs authority, is approved for air traffic with territories outside of the customs territory of the Union;

(10) ‘business or tourist aircraft’ means private aircraft intended for journeys whose itinerary depends on the wishes of the user;

Article 38, transit flights in business and tourist aircraft, customs controls and formalities applicable to the baggage of persons on board business or tourist aircraft shall be carried out at the following airports:

(a) for flights coming from a non-Union airport and where the aircraft, after a stopover at a Union airport, continues to another Union airport, at the first international Union airport;

(b) for flights coming from a Union airport and where the aircraft, after a stopover at a Union airport, continues to a non-Union airport, at the last international Union airport.

Obviously, not applicable to immigration as the first airport in Shengen code need to be PPF…

Last Edited by Ibra at 07 Dec 18:23

I know @Peter often complains no-one on the forum slags off their own country. So Peter, please hold my beer ;-)

I got the most interesting email today which reads something like this. (loosely translated and some elements deleted to protect the innocent)

Dear Mr. …

No general declaration was submitted to customs for the GPETH flight from Belgium to the United Kingdom (the general declaration was submitted to the aviation police, but since the UK is not part of the EU, it must therefore always be submitted to customs). Now my service (customs and excise disputes department) will offer an amicable settlement to Mr…, but we have no address details for him (he gave his address when registering the flight without a house number) and we have received this e-mail from the accounting department of the Antwerp airport as a reference to contact him.
Could you give us the address of Mr …?
Thanks in advance for your cooperation

Now obviously this is wrong in so many ways and equally non compliant with and GDPR regulation but that is not the point of exactly WHY this is a level of stupidity I have rarely seen…

The AIP for EBAW shows Antwerp first of all as a port of entry, second permanent (sort of) customs.
Passengers: 0530-2200 (0430-2100)
Goods: MON-FRI (HOL excl): 0700-1100 (0600-1000) and 1130-1700 (1030-1600)
Note: Customs clearance outside these hours is possible. Fees depend on the number of customs officers required and on the nature of operations.

as my flight was well within these hours, and I cannot (still can’t) find any reference in the AIP or elswhere that states that 2 GENDECS (I did file the GENDEC with Belgium’s Federal Police AND followed up by phone to make sure I wasn’t missing a beat as this was in the middle of COVID and they confirmed I had complied with all requirements). I obviously filed the UK GAR and PLF, had done the 48 hour COVID test required at that time. I also got confirmed from OPS at EBAW (I know that will hold very little legal validity) that nothing further was required. I did stop to see the Federal Police on my way out to the UK, who confirmed again they did not need ANYTHING further from me and all was well. The GenDec Form, all filed in my name with my details arrived as the police had it in their file when I left and stamped it. The new notice system for EBAW, despite being filled out with a new customer number defaults back to sending me an email with the name and contact details of the previous owner ;-)

So for a flight from EBAW to the UK, apparently (I still can’t find reference) you need. 1PPR for the Airport via their website, 1 GENDEC for the Federal Police (via the GENDEC form of the Belgian Federal Police) a third GAR/GENDEC for Belgian Customs (who knows where?) and a GAR form for UK border force. Have fun flying to Belgium gents. It’s worth it ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France
Sign in to add your message