Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

"VFR-only" airfields - what does it really mean?

The answer is obviously totally country and airfield dependent, and this is much bigger than trying to read EASA differences.

A “VFR only” airfield, if talking practically, is one at which only VFR ops are permitted, which is basically 1500ft min vis, and a cloudbase consistent with the ability to fly to/from it under VFR which probably means a 500ft AGL cloudbase.

That’s assuming nobody is controlling. Class D airports generally have a 1500ft min cloudbase for VFR ops. Class G, it varies…

And EASA doesn’t do a lot of “ground legislation”; that is mostly national or local.

An alternative view is one to which an IFR flight plan cannot be filed. This varies around Europe. Two exceptions I know of are Germany and potentially Croatia; in Croatia you cannot file an “I” flight plan to an airfield with IAPs if the tower is unmanned.

The exact definition when a VFR departure is complete after take off, and when at the earliest time one could “self join” IFR probably doesn’t exist.

Indeed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

Could one “self cancel” IFR shortly before such field?

Self cancel is the only option for canceling IFR, nobody can do that instead of PIC. Nobody has questioned that yet.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

Self cancel is the only option for canceling IFR, nobody can do that instead of PIC. Nobody has questioned that yet.

Haha that is true, at least we have something !

Strictly speaking, you can’t cancel IFR in Class A TMA/CTA in any weather conditions and you can’t cancel IFR in IMC while inside controlled airspace

Elsewhere, calling it VFR does entitles you to deviate from IFR paths & heights,
- Say low visual circuit instead of instrument circling (welcome to circling/circuit topics)
- Say low visual cruise in VMC at VFR heights instead of IFR heights

If you are IFR outside controlled airspace and aerodrome, you don’t even have to say it on radio to anyone, not even AFIS or other pilots…
Cancelling while on IFR lost comms will cause load of ATC disappointment

The real question, can you cancel and pick it again in your head without telling anyone? I am sure the answer is YES outside controlled airspace & aerodromes

Strictly speaking, the only thing that automatically cancels your IFR without your consent is the decent in cruise bellow IFR MSA in IMC away from takeoff/landing (I had engine failure while IFR in easy weather, ATC did actually say that and I repeated after them before going down to some grass field beneath, I would loved to get that recording )

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 11:37
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

AFIS/AG can’t refuse landing/takeoff due to weather conditions (it’s clearly written in ANO/AIP)

Can’t they declare the airfield shut though? (Assuming the owner/operator has delegated that authority to them)

Derek
Stapleford (EGSG), Denham (EGLD)

Can’t they declare the airfield shut though? (Assuming the owner/operator has delegated that authority to them)

AFIS/AG can’t refuse landing because “weather is bad”, yes they can close airfield if “surface is unfit” or no landing “without prior permission” (of course in emergency, one can land regardless)

Not sure about the rules for ATC when RVR/ATIS is busted by PIC for IFR? but I heard they just wash their hands with “check your minima, clear to land/takeoff at your discretion” (for VFR, they do enforce weather on airspace & aerodrome clearances)

PS: in US, I recall when FortLauderdale KFXE was restricted due to weather, ATC first kicked every VFR away, then every “non-WX radar IFR” traffic away, then they were taking names & endurances & alternates before shutting down all runways when few big CBs were sitting on them, I was waiting for my turn in good VFR with +4h fuel endurance then I got sequenced on 30nm downwind & 30nm final as they opened back for traffic, I overflew my alternate twice

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 23:08
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message