Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK pilots: how do you avoid your EASA PPL getting auto-converted to a UK PPL? (and the mess of similar UK PPLs)

AIUI, your current PPL will say “EASA” on it. This is unless the papers have gone back to the CAA for some reason, during 2021, or you did your skills test since 31/12/2020.

And it will stay like that, for ever – unless it has to go back to the CAA for some reason.

What are the scenarios where it would have to be sent back? I think one of them is if you add a new rating e.g. an IR or IMCR, or you renew an expired rating and that rating was for some reason no longer showing on the license.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, change of address, for example.

EGTR

I assume my EASA PPL is now invalid, as it was issued by the UK CAA. It’s still in my blue holder.
I also have a ICAO compliant UK National PPL, issued at the same time by the UK CAA. (This is NOT an NPPL.) This is what I fly on

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

I assume my EASA PPL is now invalid

It would be within the power of Brussels to do that, but have they actually done that?

AIUI they have blocked UK issued EASA licenses from being used on non-G EASA-reg planes, but that isn’t quite the same thing.

Administrator

The UK National licence I understand is strictly for Annex 1 aircraft?

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Yes, but I don’t think the intention is to revert a UK issued EASA PPL to a UK national PPL.

We will end up with two ICAO PPLs which are awfully close to each other but one can be used only for Annex 1 but it can also be used with the PMD (I think)

Administrator

Maoraigh wrote:

I assume my EASA PPL is now invalid

No – any Licence Document or Certificate issued by the UK CAA under Commission Regulation (EU) No 1178/2011 before 1 January 2021, stating the United Kingdom as the issuing authority (i.e. a UK issued EASA licence with the words “European Union” on the cover), remains in force and valid as an ICAO pilot licence or certificate under paragraph 37 of Part 3 of Schedule 8 to the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018.

See CAP2086 – it is a confirmation signed by the CAA that UK-issued EASA format licence and medical documents continue to be valid notwithstanding the end of the Brexit transition period. I keep a copy with my licence in case of a ramp check when abroad.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

The license remains valid – but what happens these days when the ratings based on the license expire? Can an EASA examiner (from a foreign country) still extend the ratings on a UK-EASA-license?

Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

Can an EASA examiner (from a foreign country) still extend the ratings on a UK-EASA-license?

No. Unless that EASA examiner also holds the relevant UK CAA examiner rating.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom

It appears that the 31 Dec 2022 concession applies for authorisations already held, and the CAA charges heavily for new authorisations. I heard a figure of best part of £1000. And the authorisation is to last only until 31 Dec 2022!

IMHO the date will be extended, mainly because it is a useful revenue stream

Administrator
27 Posts
Sign in to add your message