Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many pilots have packed it all up due to the coronavirus situation?

Good idea, and the distance is just about right.. We have been thinking about a trip to norway on last week of June, Savannah, Eurostar and perhaps CTLS and CH701.

EETU, Estonia

Thanks LeSving, I’ll sure stop by sometime in the season, haven’t seen Norway for a while, and it sure remains one of my favourite aerial playground

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Of course. Everybody is welcome there, and especially if you come landing on the strip with a GA plane It’s really nice there. One of the best hiking places in Norway (and Sweden for that matter), if you like that sort of things. Or you can just chill fishing trout a few meters from the field.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

next time you fly to Norway come by at ENMO

Hey @LeSving, hope that invitation extends to all of us

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

ivark wrote:

And there are some upsides of having a STOL besides cheap maintenance.. My Savannah parked at my home:

Indeed! Looks cool. I have a Savannah as well with a friend. He also has a 600m strip at his home, hangar etc. In fact, next time you fly to Norway come by at ENMO. He also has cottages you can rent, even a small “apartment” right at the airport. Special prices for pilots (Off course, 600m is enough for most GA planes)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@Frans has said it mostly. It’s not black and white and some communities are better than others.

I know quite a few Germans who live here and are doing just fine. Most enjoy the fact that taxation is somewhere around 10% and their income significantly higher. It depends how they behave (like anyone in a foreign country) and how they integrate. Putting signs up like the ones I mentioned does not help. And btw most of the time they got removed hours after being put, either by the council or by people actually wishing to use the playground. In the school my kid attends, we have a good share of german and other foreign kids, including some hockey kids with origins in the East. They get on just fine and actually become multilingual. The complainers usually are of one kind, narrowminded childless idiots who think they can impose their cementry wish onto others.

As for the guy with the Harley, I still don’t know who he was. But if you live in a high density neighbourhood and need to get to work at 4 am every day, this kind of transportation is simply not considerate to anyone. Hey, I lived for years under the direct flight path of ZRH’s runway 16 departures, where the heavies go and slept just fine. But when that guy started up his machine and farted himself out of the neighbourhood in the morning, ALL of us stood in bed. For years.

@Frans is very right about support for airports and airfields in the public, as opposed to politicians. Many airfields have beens saved by the public vote, when that was possible. Those who were destroyed or rendered impossible to use (like Dübendorf airbase, which was supposed to be replace ZRH as GA airport) came from politicians who either are green-leftist themselves or who listen to a minority who are threatening and vocal. Or have other interests in mind such as real estate.

yes, this country has it’s shortcomings and often the society is difficult. But looking around me I still don’t know where else I’d rather live.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

MedEwok wrote:

There are sayings that the Swiss are “more German than all Germans” and it shows in description like these and also in the fact that many Germans who found work in Switzerland return quickly because while the pay is good, they just can’t stand to live in such a rigid society and are looked down upon as foreigners
Well, as always, it depends… I live in Central-Switzerland near Lucerne, and people here are pretty open and socialize a lot. I never felt unwelcome or so. I’ve also been many times in Valais, and people there are very relaxed and friendly. Yes, the Swiss in general enjoy their quietness and some people hate noisy airplanes.

However, if it comes to referenda about closing down GA airfields, a clear majority voted most times against closure (e.g. 62,42 % voted against closure of Kägiswil in 2013, 66,33 % voted in 2017 in favor of a 10 million cantonal investment for Buochs). So it seems still a majority likes aviation or does not want airfields to be exchanged for buildings. That’s the good part of Switzerland: A minority cannot screw up stuff so easily, even if they manage to organize a poll or referenda.
Last Edited by Frans at 09 Feb 10:39
Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Must be nice to have the space and tolerance of your neighbours to do that.

closest neighbour is about 1km and likes to drive ATV, which also makes a lot of noise and for a longer time. And while juridically part of the city, the actual city is ca 8km away and we have all kind of agricultural machinery working, so it would be weird to complain about UL taking off now and then. As I haven’t built a hangar for it yet, I kept it at home only occasionally, for refueling/cleaning/maintenace. Its based at local aviation museum during summertime (ca 20km from my house) which has shelters and grass strip and in the local airport hangar during winter period. Also a good place but gets crowded..

EETU, Estonia

MedEwok wrote:

they just can’t stand to live in such a rigid society

At least it is one and yes, moving out of the geographical area formerly hosting two German nations to a country with working society structure of any kind IS scary ;-).

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 09 Feb 08:49
Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

LOL, in my neighbourhood I am the only one who has to cut grass. A full 100m2 of it. The other houses have no grass left to cut and everything around our common plot are rental houses with 30-50 flats each. Apart, they just finally caught a guy who had the habit of going to work with his Harley at 4am. Don´t know where he is gone to but neither he nor his bike have been seen recently….

What do you expect of folks who paint “SHUT UP” and “QUIET” signs on the entrace of playgrounds.

There are sayings that the Swiss are “more German than all Germans” and it shows in description like these and also in the fact that many Germans who found work in Switzerland return quickly because while the pay is good, they just can’t stand to live in such a rigid society and are looked down upon as foreigners (both of which must sound hilarious to any immigrant from the Mediterranean living in Germany).

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
88 Posts
Sign in to add your message