Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Counting passport stamps

I heard from another pilot that he read something on the internet that some police somewhere in Europe busted UK pilots, by counting the stamps in their passports and if they found an odd number for a particular EU port of entry, they fined the pilot.

Surely this is only happening on the internet.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Passport stamps, I remember them well. When I was living in the US for the last few years I had a “Global Entry” card. That meant I used a kiosk thing to enter the country, and hadn’t had an actual stamp for years. Travelling between the UK and Europe pre-Brexit nobody ever stamped anything.

I confess that since leaving the US in March, I haven’t crossed an international border even once. But for sure nobody stamped my French passport on the way into France.

There are countries that still take passport stamps seriously – my seven-year old UK passport has plenty of entry/exit stamps for Japan, India and Australia. Rarely on the same page of course.

LFMD, France

I got one today which is the wrong direction

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nobody bothered to check my ID at LFMU.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Do you know what the numbers after the date are (35) ?

I think it’s certainly a possibility. They will be checking to see that you comply with the max 90 days in 180 days rule for stays in Schengen. I had a border guard in Switzerland tell me that my stay had been illegal because he couldn’t find my entry stamp.

Wellesbourne EGBW, United Kingdom

There are countries that make it illegal to have dual nationality and will make you choose between passports if they catch you, but that is slightly different from having dual nationality legally in two countries and getting into trouble in a 3rd country for having two passports. In which countries is this illegal?

Some countries visas & stamps are tricky when visiting other places, so you better have two passports? say trip to Israel then Iran and then USA (with my wife we have been in the 3 but not in one trip and not on same passports )

PS: if you have been to Iran you can no longer travel to US on ESTA waiver you need a proper visa from US embassy, irrespective if you had the stamp or not

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Oct 18:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

skydriller wrote:

there are in fact a few countries where it is illegal to have more than one passport on you – just in case anyone didnt know.

Do you mean illegal for citizens of that country or for any traveller? (Do you have examples of such countries?)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Rob wrote:

Do you know what the numbers after the date are (35) ?

That’s a security code which is changed daily or every few days according to some schedule determined by each country. It is intended to make it more difficult to fake stamps.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message