Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel shortages in the UK?

Peter wrote:

Very much so – the word is schadenfreude

Come on… Brits are world champions in self irony. It wouldn’t surprise me if this joke came out of UK

THY
EKRK, Denmark

Someone sent me this today….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Graham wrote:

the cost is only ~£3k, contrast with ATPL)

An experienced HGV driver probably commands £60k plus benefits, which is a darn side better than the typical FO in 2021. To add to the injury, EasyJet Captains with an HGV make the news as they can’t get a job due to lack of experience as a heavy machine operator.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

There are many of those going around; some could never be posted on an open forum

Brits are world champions in self irony

They are; the funny thing is how almost nobody else on EuroGA posts anything critical of their own country, their airspace, their ATC, etc

Fortunately Brits don’t mind getting beaten up all the time; if the target was one of the other larger N European countries, we would have a war here, and a mass exodus.

An experienced HGV driver probably commands £60k plus benefits

Yes; the Texaco driver which has just delivered to the petrol station across from where I work is on a 60k contract. There is no shortage of those people.

I’ve just popped down the petrol station shop and apparently nobody is putting in £10/£20. So that confirms why there is a shortage.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

An experienced HGV driver probably commands £60k plus benefits, which is a darn side better than the typical FO in 2021. To add to the injury, EasyJet Captains with an HGV make the news as they can’t get a job due to lack of experience as a heavy machine operator.

A friend of mine has gone back to bus driving while the dust settles back in FO jobs for him, he knows he will make 30% less…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Peter I think you’ll find its just that the sense of humour especially when it comes to satire is different in countries other than the UK.
French cartoons such as those from Charlie Hebdo can be equally critical of the French government but whilst funny to the French they don’t travel well.

France

Well, yes, that is obvious

But, still, if one criticised certain other countries, one would have, like I said, a war and a mass exodus. Just like we had, years ago, when certain posters from those countries chucked their toys out of the pram (or, in very rare cases, were removed), and this resulted in a load of their countrymen leaving as a show of solidarity. I am very glad those days are gone and we are having a period of relative peace

Charlie Hebdo is a complicated topic…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

But, still, if one criticised certain other countries, one would have, like I said, a war and a mass exodus.

The thing about humour is that it’s all about how it’s told. The words/images themselves aren’t insulting, but rather the intent. If I called you to your face (something that would get auto donked by the forum software) but said it with a big smile on my face, and in a tone of voice that clearly indicated that it’s not to be taken seriously (which I probably have done in the past!) you’d just laugh and try to think of something smart to say back. It wouldn’t be taken as offensive and would be seen as a light hearted laugh as it was intended.

But if I said the same thing with a serious expression and tone, it would be quite offensive and probably taken as such.

The same thing is much harder on forums. An image or a written message lacks those clues about wether the posting was intended to be a light hearted laugh or intended to be offensive.

I take the bus and Queen image to be intended as a light hearted laugh, because they almost certainly come from shared social media which is intended to be funny rather than offensive. Also because it’s thankfully rare on EuroGA that people are intentionally offensive. But I suppose we should all be mindful of when posting funny things here that they lack the social clues of face to face conversation that make it clear that no offensive was intended and also because some nation’s populations are more sensivite about certain topics than others. Each nation probably has some issue that it’s much easier to offend unintentioally when trying to be funny.

There are many issues that as Irish people, we openly complain about our own country. But if someone from another country was to say the same thing as we say ourselves, they might be tredding on dangerous ground!

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 01 Oct 14:25
EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

They are; the funny thing is how almost nobody else on EuroGA posts anything critical of their own country, their airspace, their ATC, etc

I think you’re not reading carefully…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Fortunately Brits don’t mind getting beaten up all the time;

I think the weather gets you used to it…

Sign in to add your message