Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel shortages in the UK?

Peter wrote:

the funny thing is how almost nobody else on EuroGA posts anything critical of their own country, their airspace, their ATC, etc

I do not have one good thing to say about our CAA, and most airports with commercial traffic suck balls through a straw; an overzealous inspector requested we rip out an already installed EDM730 because the Reims Cessna F172 is not on the AML, only the US built C172 is. The fact that it will be legal with the new CS-STAN didn’t seem to matter. Marking it INOP didn’t fly.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

How high in quality would Germans rank their Bild newspaper?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is this a trick question?

EDQH, Germany

Peter wrote:

How high in quality would Germans rank their Bild newspaper

It depends on what you intend to use it for. Because the paper they’re using for producing the Bild it is not really smooth enough to use it for what I would use it if I had it at home. However, it burns quite well.

Germany

Peter wrote:

Very much so – the word is schadenfreude

For me it is not schadenfreude (funny that that word is used in english). I just found the coincidence funny in between lack of fuel and lack of drivers, havne’t thought it that way before. And to some degree it is nailed to the point on this bus.

However, no offense intented whatsoever.

Germany

Peter wrote:

the funny thing is how almost nobody else on EuroGA posts anything critical of their own country, their airspace, their ATC, etc

A number of reasons you would feel that’s the case:

1. self irony works best (only?) in the native language. If it’s made in any other language it’s not really self irony, but merely comedy/tragedy made for others.
  2. UK aviation rules, regulations etc seems to be a whole lot odder than any other place from a pure objective stand. The whole “airspace bust” thread for instance. To me (and I guess to most non UK people) it’s in fact hard to comprehend the situation is for real.

Besides, why is this very thread on this board in the first place? It has nothing to do with GA. But it is funny when looking at what has happened in the last years In the media here it’s not mentioned at all anymore. They had one small article on it, mostly because the oddness of the situation, and that was that. Normally I wouldn’t even bother reading such things, but then it also came on this board The article also mentioned an even bigger “tragedy” coming; Lack of workers in the food industry will cause a lack of Christmas turkeys. It reminds me of a situation about 10 years ago, we had lack of (Norwegian) butter, of all things. A huge shortage. My wife was all upset, it was really hysteric here, because there was no way she (nor anyone else) could cook traditional Norwegian Christmas cookies with French butter What we ended up with was some “organic mountain butter thing” costing 5-6 times that of “ordinary butter”.

What’s on the news here yesterday and today that has some remote connection to GA is this: During the pandemic SAS laid off large numbers of pilots. They were promised to be hired again when things got better. Keep your uniforms ready SAS said. Right now things are much better, and SAS needs pilots, lots of pilots. However, during the pandemic SAS has also re-organized. Among the changes are much larger emphasis on the new daughter companies; SAS Link and SAS Connect. They use Airbus, not Boeing. So what SAS is saying is the pilots were given a right to be hired at SAS Skandinavia. SAS Skandinavia don’t need pilots however, only SAS Link and SAS Connect do (duh !) SAS is saying the pilots will be hired at Link/Connect if they apply and if they are qualified. Meaning they have to pay for Airbus (A whatever) rating themselves, which costs about €40-50k. Being laid off for a year and a half, then having to pay €40-50k to get the job back. Would anyone do that? Would the average pilot afford it? Don’t know, and don’t really care.

What I do know is that the Norwegian general public do not like such things. We fly a lot, much more than anyone else in Europe per person, and we are willing to pay for quality. During the pandemic, Widerøe was often the airline company with most flight in entire Europe for instance, which tells a lot, because even Widerøe had only 50% of the normal flights. Both Ryanair and that toy company Wizz air simply had to pack it up even though they offered considerably cheaper tickets. It’s the start of the end of SAS for sure. If they believe this will simply pass without doing anything, they are seriously wrong.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s great to know that this does not reflect public opinion

I just found the coincidence funny in between lack of fuel and lack of drivers, haven’t thought it that way before.

The UK petrol shortage is not caused by a lack of drivers. The population of fuel drivers is relatively stable. The public panic was engineered by a leak, to bounce the govt into issuing visas so that BP could carry on paying drivers 30k. It didn’t work; the govt just did it for a few months. The extra demand is due to people who normally drive around with nearly empty tanks, suddenly filling right up, and it will take a week or two to sort itself out.

There are other HGV driver shortages elsewhere in e.g. the food delivery sectors, caused by a combination of a long-term high level of churn (many leaving each year) in the driver population and the suspension of HGV tests during CV19. As we have seen with e.g. the CAA, CV19 has been a fantastic excuse for doing absolutely nothing working from home and thus delivering a crap customer service Actually I wonder how other countries managed to continue HGV driver tests, or perhaps they didn’t (but we won’t read about that in the UK because UK media don’t gloat in the misfortune of mainland countries). This is a problem with “everything-JIT” which we see right across business; not a lot one can do about it. It works while it works, and any “shock” collapses the system. In business you need “slack” to absorb shocks, but in the same way that “nobody got fired for buying IBM”, nobody gets fired for saving his company X million by screwing the supply network into cutting costs by doing the absolute minimum. Maybe some people will learn but I doubt it because any departure from JIT is going to cost money.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

They are; the funny thing is how almost nobody else on EuroGA posts anything critical of their own country, their airspace, their ATC, etc

Maybe we are too protective of our own turfs at times, yet I recall massive criticism on their own countries in many cases. For myself I recall criticism on the TSB, the very split political scene which came up with the punitive landing fees for GA and amoongst other things the very hesitant Covid response and quite a bit of annoyance with the fact that we are still very low in terms of vaccinations, only to mention a few. If I had to, I could easily fill a “All that is wrong with Switzerland” book but what for. That is not constructive nor do I feel that it will help at all. It is just an opinion of an old fart after all, and we have enough of those all over the place.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

It’s great to know that this does not reflect public opinion

Peter, posting Bild articles without stating that really no pun is intended by posting it may be felt offensive by Germans. It is just convoluted crap they publish and it’s cringeworthy. There’s just no way on earth to stop them doing what they do, and it has been tried hard by many since 80 years now. And this is not even the worst that you posted. They can do better than that!

So, no, the opinion of a blue-arsed fly blindly searching for the next cadaver to report about is NOT representing common opinion here.

Last Edited by UdoR at 02 Oct 08:25
Germany

@Peter wrote “(but we won’t read about that in the UK because UK media don’t gloat in the misfortune of mainland countries)”

Oh come on Peter I don’t read UK papers but everyday when I go to Google Chrome there is a whole load of headlines from The Daily Telegraph, The Daily Express, The Daily Mail and others all gloating about some great deal that the UK has done since Brexit. The world leading vaccination roll out that would never have happened if the UK stayed in Europe, Elon Musk snubbing Europe to build a new space station in Cornwall , Brussel’s bullies told where to go by Lord Frost etc etc.
The article you posted was obviously meant for an English speaking audience.What paper carried it? It is obviously just an opinion piece.
I wonder how many Brit columnists are writing opinion pieces in German newspapers.

France
Sign in to add your message