Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France introduces a law mandating 12 year support for products

Charlie wrote:

Wonder if the French law extends to submarines

gallois wrote:

I think that comment is not worthy of response. It is just snide.

Well I thought it was funny…

Come on guys – you just know this is a red hot political potato right now, so take this to the politics thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Are we sure this isn’t an EU initiative? I seem to remember something similar being mentioned here a few years ago, and I seem to remember that it was rolling out across Europe.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

t is fairly normal for chip makers to assure a 10+ year production life e.g. here. The problem is that the end product mfg does’t want to get involved in such a warranty (outside of the automotive/space sectors where they have no choice).

We operate in the Automotive electronics sector and even though you have ordered the next year’s worth of supply chip makers won’t tell you how many pieces they are going to supply next month!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Sure, but that’s a different topic. There is a totally crazy bubble right now which will explode somewhere in the end 2021 / early 2022 timeframe and there will be a bloodbath – just like has happened so many times in the 43 years I’ve been in the business This time it will be worse though, and with a bigger bloodbath at the end.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Charlie I accept that perhaps I took differently to the way you meant it.
Nobody is asking manufacturers to guarantee a product for 10 years. But come on, is there ant reason a printer cannot be repaired after a year or so, ot has to be thrown away. Is there any reason, other than manufacturers profit, that printer inks by the same maker cannot be interchangeable? Is there any good reason why when a cast hinge or screws on a washing machine or dishwasher door snaps, even due to careless usage, you have to change the whole door, not just the hinge or in some cases the whole machine? Is there any reason why batteries cannot be made common at least for a manufacturer, rather than it being less expensive to the consumer to throw away electric drills, saws, sanders and indeed laptops, roaming phones, portables, tablets. When many of them just contain a bunch of cheap rechargeable AAs or AAAs which could be changed in a few minutes by nearly anyone with half a brain, if they could get the damn battery casing open without hitting it with a sledgehammer and chisel.Not only is it a total waste it is a costly rup off by manufacturers to load the back end instead.of the front where the competition is greatest. We are being conned yet in this throwaway society people line up to excuse it.

France

We looked at acquiring some legacy high end glasses/eyewear factories (this is different in every territory) and the stock on hand for repairs did indeed need to cover the next 7 years for every model. In prescriber markets (US etc is vastly different) the opticians do expect the producer (factory) to provide repairs forever… Funny how some of these things are still so regionally different I found. Needles to say we ended up not investing ;-)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

LeSving wrote:

What kind of goods does this involve? What about hand made stuff, companies with 1 or 2 persons, and they die in an accident.

The company goes bankrupt or other procedure. Either it is taken over by competent people, or it ceases to exist. In the former case, the law applies to the company and they must give support for the 12 years. In the latter case, the person that had the obligation doesn’t exist any more and nobody has the obligation to go to the end of the 12 years. Same as with building houses. The builder has to give you a 10 year warranty, but he’ll have gone bankrupt before that, so you are left hanging without warranty.

ELLX

The builder has to give you a 10 year warranty, but he’ll have gone bankrupt before that, so you are left hanging without warranty.

Not true in the UK and I don’t think France either. The builder has to buy insurance at the time of sale, and it’s the insurance that pays even if the builder is bankrupt/dead/in jail. We had serious remedial work on our house in France at the time a long while after it was built.

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

Not true in the UK and I don’t think France either.

Sweden also has the 10 year “warranty”. Hard to say if these things are national rules or EU. (Strictly speaking it is not “warranty” as that is a voluntary obligation. It is a legal obligation that the builder fixes original problems that show up within 10 years.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message