Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New iPad Mini 6 announced

The X-grip fits although it is not for me. I find it more complicated in my flight bag and I don’t particularly like the looks but it does fit all the Minis.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter_Mundy wrote:

The 6 will not fit the 4/5 RAM EZ-Roll’r holder

ESME, ESMS

I bought a 5 from a department store and it fits my old mount, but have relegated my old 2 to aircraft duties, will delete most apps and keep an aviation app (FF in my case), AFM and other manuals on books, and a browser.

The 5 is great and has the old lightning cable and excellent battery life, am hoping it will last as long as my 2, or my original mini which is still in service with one of the grandsons

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Can the Ipad2 (I have one) run Foreflight?? I don’t think so. Maybe some old version. I also found the GPS in it to be next to useless in the TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Download the demo and try it I find that the Apple GPS is not very good in most aircraft so use an exteranl receiver.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

My mini2 runs FF fine but getting it’s GPS from SkyEcho 2, and also showing traffic

I think the 5 can run some extra features on FF but not sure if they are included in my subscription

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@Peter, @RobertL18C,

I think you are talking about different things. The iPad mini 2 came out late 2013, and is the same generation as the iPad Air (also late 2013) which followed the iPad 4 (late 2012). the iPad 2 is 2.5 years older (early 2011).

Both are out of support, but the mini 2 can run up to iOS 12, while the iPad 2 is stuck on iOS 9.

Biggin Hill

Most phone/tablet GPSs were optimised for locating a MacDonalds

I spent some time on this way back and didn’t find a good remotely mounted bluetooth GPS receiver solution then. I found one for normal NMEA (Android or Windows clients, basically).

However, almost nobody does this so I wonder how/why it seems to work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Re GPS reception of the iPads, sans additional antenna, is very aircraft type dependant. All the aircraft I owned up to date had/have bubble canopies, the only time the whatever iPad looses the sats is when flying upside down.
Most of the spam cans have some kind of metallic roof topped by elevated instruments panels shielding the needed signals, alas.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Most of the spam cans have some kind of metallic roof topped by elevated instruments panels shielding the needed signals, alas.

I use an iPad mini 5 mounted on the yoke with a RAM mount. In the last 10 hours of flight with a PA28 I had interruption of GPS reception only on a few short occasions on a single 20-minute stretch. So I find this a very minor problem.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message