Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New iPad Mini 6 announced

The other alternative outside of a panel bluetooth GPS like Garmin GTX345, might be a Bad Elf Pro. These portable units seem to maintain good reception and I wonder whether they increase or reduce battery life on the iPad mini when in use.

Most 70’s panels still have a cigarette lighter outlet, or at least my Warrior conserves one, so the iPad can stay charged in flight.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

might be a Bad Elf Pro

There are also the DUAL units. I have one and use it as secondary backup (I think it’s the 150, but not sure).

I recently bought a Stratus III which gives me ADSB-IN in airplanes that have only OUT and that’s now my primary GPS backup.

RobertL18C wrote:

so the iPad can stay charged in flight.

Yes, but: charging generates heat and while I have only had one overheating event in all the years I’ve been flying with iPads (my bad – put it on the dash in full sunlight for half an hour… duhhh), charging can push the temperature envelope.

In DA42 iPad mini mounted to canopy with suction cap has practically as same GPS reception with internal receiver as G1000. ForeFlight geo-referenced taxing shows exactly the same location as panel Safetaxi.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I had the iPad mini 2 running ForeFlight and indeed support has dropped and some functionalities are missing and it was a bit slow for flight maps, and really slow for the preparation with FF. I don’t remember which feature was missing… then switch to the Air4 for flight preparation and in plane tablet for maps, checklist etc, and everything is running nice although it’s a bit big in a PA28.

LFMD, France

FWIW, I went down to one of my local Apple stores and tried the Mini 6 with my RAM cradle – as I somewhat suspected, it does, in fact, fit.

172driver wrote:

FWIW, I went down to one of my local Apple stores and tried the Mini 6 with my RAM cradle – as I somewhat suspected, it does, in fact, fit.

I’m a bit confused… the previous posts suggested that it wouldn’t fit…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

RAM has many cradles, I guess he used the X-shaped one.

ESME, ESMS

Nope – I used the EZ-Rollr for the Mini 5. It almost fits but the roller does not sit as it should and is under stress and I am not sure it would stand up to any turbulence

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I also tried the Mini 6 in an X-Naut mount for the 5 but the Mini fell out the first time I used it

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

The iPad mini 3 EZ cradle handles the mini 6 ok. But it is not a perfect fit and it does put some pressure on the underside.

EBST, Belgium
Sign in to add your message