Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to deal with technophobes (IT and otherwise)

johnh wrote:

Since this has turned into an Orange thread

Hopefully not. But still a lot of experiences being shared.

Had another case of “why don’t people read the message before calling for help” incident today.

Someone tried to order something from an online service he had not used for a while. He made it to the check out, when a pop up appeared saying his credit card was expired and would he please update the expiration date of his card, together with a nice window where to enter the new expiry date.

HEEEEEEELLLLLPPPPP SOMETHING APPEARED HERE!!!!

Groan.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

Also a lot of “modern people” don’t have a phone line and live just on their mobile phone, or if they have a phone line (for ADSL) they have no idea what the number is. I find this development quite surprising because “living with just a phone” is a torture, when it comes to doing so many things.

Unfortunately some phone companies take the “modern view” that copper is so 20th century and are decommissioning landlines fast. In a few years, there will be no more landlines in rural areas in Sweden. My home airfield just lost its landline, so we switched to IP telephony as we already had fiber.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

It’s fine if you have fibre to the premises.

Copper is a hassle for everybody. Poor reliability and very high labour cost maintaining the wiring, much of it in the open, with junction boxes up on the wooden poles. Fibre works even if the whole underground duct is full of water and the junction boxes are submerged.

If that’s the “modern view” I am all in favour

A lot of features which worked absolutely perfectly for 20+ years on our ISDN phone system at work never worked on the new VOIP system, or didn’t work reliably, but that’s another story It will take the same number of years to make large-scale VOIP as reliable as ISDN is now. And VOIP is great for hackers; someone I know had his Cisco VOIP PBX hacked and lost 5k.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

Unfortunately some phone companies take the “modern view” that copper is so 20th century and are decommissioning landlines fast

In our “summer house” we only have mobile connection. Flat rate 4G on a 4G router running everything wifi ,including streaming on TV. In fact we saw the last season of The Handmade’s tale on that Works just perfect. Don’t know if ordinary phone lines exist at all anymore. It’s more than 20 years since I ripped out the phone sockets in my house. Even the over the air TV is all digital (not satellite, but ground network), which works surprisingly well with 4K quality, some free channels and thousands of pay channels. With 5G being installed now, all the lines, even fiber, will be gone for good IMO. Certainly no one will install fiber in any new homes.

Younger people like to game (I have 3 sons). I don’t think they would be very pleased with only mobile connection. But, if the quality of 5G is as good as it is touted to be, they may change their minds, maybe. New fiber is expensive as well. Expensive to build, expensive to maintain, and mobile networks will only become cheaper and better.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
64 Posts
Sign in to add your message