Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Class 1 medical extension with a private doctor

I’ve got my initial medical certificate at an AMC in Septermber 2019. As far as I know, I have 2 years to extend it with a private doctor instead of going to a medical center once again. So, my question is, what is the starting date – the date of issuance or the date of class 1 expiration?

Thanks!

Czech Republic

I’ve never heard private doctors can do medicals. Unless the private doctor is an AME as well.

If you have a class 1 medical it needs renewal every year or 6 months depending on your age. You also get class 2 which will be valid for longer than your class 1. Normally your medical certificate will have all the exact dates listed when they expire.

If you’re talking about when you have to do an initial class 1 again, I believe that’s 5 years after the class 1 expiry. But could be shorter depending on your age. Details should be in EASA FCL Part MED.

Bushpilot C208/C182
FMMI/EHRD, Madagascar

I’d guess in relation to the question being asked “private doctor” = AME

If I remember correctly, the tradition in some (former east block?) countries is or was that Medicals are performed at a central location by government employees.

It sounds like local knowledge would be required to answer the question in relation to current practice in the Czech Republic.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Sep 15:18

Yeah, I meant an AME (private authorized doc). The license was issued in Sep 2019 is expired in Sep 2020. Can somebody explain what is the starting date for the 2 year time frame to extended my medical – the date of issuance or the expiration date?

Last Edited by igor at 01 Sep 15:32
Czech Republic

So it’s not about extending, but about renewing an expired medical.

The relevant date is the date of expiration.

Germany

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but is is quite simple.

The expiry date is printed on your medical.
If you REVALIDATE the medical within 45 days of the expiry date, it gets extended by another period from the expiry date.

But it appears your medical already HAS expired (in Sep 2020).

So you need to RENEW the medical.
if done within two years after the expiry, it is a simple exam at any AME.
if done after two years from the expiry, the AME has do check your medical records
if done after five years from the expiry, another initial examination is required.

So in your case – until Sep 2022, a visit to the AME should do it, no different from how it would have been if it hadn’t expired.

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

So in your case – until Sep 2022, a visit to the AME should do it, no different from how it would have been if it hadn’t expired.

THANKS A TON! I thought I had to go through a thorough examination all over again.

Czech Republic

Cobalt wrote:

the AME has do check your medical records

They don’t even do this for the initial, why the renewal?

ESME, ESMS

Cobalt wrote:

The expiry date is printed on your medical.
If you REVALIDATE the medical within 45 days of the expiry date, it gets extended by another period from the expiry date.

But it appears your medical already HAS expired (in Sep 2020).

So you need to RENEW the medical.

Indeed. The CAA (and presumably EASA) always had a bit of a blind spot here when it came to the English language.

To renew something is to extend or continue it. To reset the terms, to have them anew, whilst still in effect. As a child I would sometimes renew a library book, extending my loan of it for a second week. I have here on my desk a letter from my local police force, informing me that my shotgun certificate expires later this year and inviting me to complete a renewal application before that date.

To re-validate is to make valid something that has at some point ceased to be valid. If my electronic pass for the office in Dublin stopped working because I’d not visited for a long time, the receptionist would re-validate it.

Yes, I know it’s the other way round in aviation. But it makes no sense linguistically.

Last Edited by Graham at 01 Sep 22:42
EGLM & EGTN

AFAIK every AME, in most countries, is doing aviation medicals privately i.e. not paid by the State.

Re obtaining GP records, this was never done, until the Germanwings suicide, and then the UK CAA started obtaining GP records every time on the initial Class 1. But they don’t appear to do it routinely otherwise. I am sure every country differs on this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message