Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

Yes, that’s the letter. Exactly the same one.

ELLX

They seem obsessed with the GenDec.

I use the airport a few times a year. Arrived once did the GebDec at the police hatch and and then no one behind the airport hatch so waited and then left. The guy went mad when I returned. I asked him to call his boss as it was obviously such a huge problem it would need someone senior to deal with it…..then he went quiet! but weirdly wouldn’t let me even use his pen to fill in the invoice form! Guess he was having a bad day!

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Customs/Immigration notification required for flights from Austria to Italy?

Is there any special notification requirement beyond FPL for flights from Schengen countries to non-customs airfields in Italy?

For example Hohenems LOIH in Austria to Verona Boscomantico LIPN? Austria is clearly not an issue, but I am a bit concerned about the arrival in Italy. Jepp indicates for LIPN that customs is 3hr PN, European Community only. Which seems to indicate that customs is still required coming to Italy from Schengen states. What about other airfields in Italy that have no customs at all …. Serristori, etc?

The Italy AIP seems a bit vague on this. What I can find is the following in GEN 1.2. To be frank, it would seem that a flight like the one above with no more than an FPL would seem to incur a large degree of risk!

Aircraft operating intracommunity service (from/to States members of the European Community) without
intermediate stop can also land at or take off from not customs airports, on condition that passengers have valid
documents for the expatriation and visa if required. In these cases the pilot in command shall mention such
event in the flight plan (box n.18 other information).

In the airport not provided with customs office where an office of the border authorities is not available, the pilot in
command must notify to the competent Direction of Airport District or Control Traffic Office, at least 3 hours
before the estimated time of arrival or departure, the airport of origin or destination and the number of
passengers. The Direction of Airport District or the Control Traffic Office, will inform at the right time the local Police
and Customs Authorities.

The utilization of aircraft and helicopter airfields for flights from and to member countries of the European Union is
allowed provided the requirements contained in D.M. 8.8.2003 are met.

Information concerning the flight, which are required by article 9 of the above D.M. 8.8.2003, must be notified by
fax, making use of the attached form, by the concerned flight pilot at least 12 hour before the planned time of
arrival or take off , to the concerned Airport Management and to the Police and Customs Authorities having
jurisdiction on the area on which the airfield is located.

Last Edited by chflyer at 07 Jun 17:43
LSZK, Switzerland

In short: nothing required, no “risks” involved. AIPs (especially section GEN) are often wrong / out of date, unfortunately. In fact, that is what they say in the very beginning of GEN 1.2.

In practice, nobody even bothers to put that mentioned phrase into item 18 of the flightplan. No PN required to LIPN for international flights from say Austria, despite LIPN AIP creating that confusion.

It does get interesting only once you want to fly between Italy and, say, Croatia (EU, but not Schengen). That’s where everybody gets very confused from reading GEN 1.2. But again, the decrees etc. mentioned therein aren’t even in force any longer… it’s all a load of bollox.

So, instead, just refer to common knowledge and higher regulation, i.e.: Schengen alleviates the pilot from having to do a passport check, EU alleviates the pilot from having to do a customs clearance. So, between Austria and Italy, you can fly between any airfield you like, without any related formalities. Which is NOT to say that police cannot do passport check on you upon arrival! But that’s a different point, and. mayny people mix up this thing with the other. I guess you have no problem showing police your passport if they ask you to. Important is that it does not restrict your choice of airfields and that you are not required to give any particular prior notice to anybody.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 07 Jun 18:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Many thanks for the quick reply, Boscomantico. (Does your handle have anything to do with the airfield in question?)

I was sure that I had heard/read that what you say is the case, but preparing for a trip I couldn’t find anything on a quick search here in the forums.

As you indicate the AIP raised a whole bunch of questions. What really annoys me is the Jepp statement, because it indicates/implies a) customs is necessary from Schengen countries and b) is not available from non-schengen countries…. although I suppose Jepp just quotes/interprets the AIP and even then sometimes wrongly.

Now that I’ve asked the question, I see a related thread suggestion but it is from 2014 and a first glance doesn’t seem to answer the questions.

We’ll give the mentioned trip a go this weekend and cross fingers that it doesn’t boomerang.

LSZK, Switzerland

Have been flying from there for 6 years, and my nick is an homage to that wonderful airfield and the time I spent there.

If you happen to pass by the aeroclub, say hello to Andrea from Philipp!

I fly from austria to italy frequently. You land in italy and just walk away from the airfield, that’s it. Nice! Imagine the drawbacks for GA if you’d need a port of departure/entry with customs/passport check for every flight. Just thinking about that is terrible. Enjoy Italy.

always learning
LO__, Austria

All great news and well-noted!! Many thanks.

LSZK, Switzerland

One last question. How do you close your flight plan when landing at an airfield without ATC? For Boscomantico, will Verona close it before landing? Or does one need to phone the ATS number for Verona Villafranca? What about an airfield like Serristori that doesn’t have any CTR airfield nearby? I haven’t found a general telephone number for all of Italy.

LSZK, Switzerland

For ARO/AIS telephone numbers, please refer to GEN3.1. There are two units for Italy: Milan for the north and Rome for the south. Both have a multitude of telephone numbers (groups of aerodromes), but in practice, it is sufficient to have one (any) number for Milan and one for Rome saved in your cellphone.

That said, in the particular case of LIPN, they have an A/G service, which is usually permanently manned and they are very friendly, so they will, upon your request, close the flightplan (via phone) after landing.

In the case of say, Serristori, you will have to do it yourself (with Rome in that case).

As regards closing with ATC whilst still in the air, in Italy, like in many other places, they will sometimes agree to do it and sometimes not. Hence: always have the AIS number for closing flightplans at hand.

For further info in flightplans etc., see here.

Oh, and for all things concerning customs/immigration, see here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Jun 08:20
Sign in to add your message