Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which EU CAAs are validating UK (or other ICAO) licenses, and via what process?

Does anyone know the procedure to do this?

It seems that ANY EASA NAA can authorise flying for ALL EASA aircraft (that you’re rated on, obviously) once the licence is verified, which includes paying the UK CAA some money (surprise!) for their efforts.

I can’t find the details of how to do this on the NAA websites though. Does anyone know one that is particularly efficient in getting this done?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

New thread @charlie.

I have not heard of any EU CAA doing this right now, because Brussels removed the privileges from UK issued EASA licenses on 1/1/2021, but maybe there are official routes for validation or conversion.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can definitely get authorisation for third country licences in each individual state. Ireland has one such example here local copy

The regulation explicitly permits authorisation across states – here

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

In that case I wonder why the mad panic to change the State of license issue (SOLI) before 31 Dec 2020?

Perhaps this affects only non-G-reg owners flying on UK papers, which may not be such a common scenario. More common were the G-reg owners, based outside the UK, and flying on EU issues papers. They get two more years from 1/1/2021.

Validations of ICAO licenses is quite an old thing, but very variable across Europe.

Administrator

Wasn’t there something about only being able to validate it once, and for one year only? Is that still the case?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

There is validation and there is conversion.

In EASA-land, the official conversion is the “100hr route”, although I know for a fact that there have been others over the years.

The UK route is mentioned here.

Search which digs out some others.

Administrator

dublinpilot wrote:

Wasn’t there something about only being able to validate it once, and for one year only? Is that still the case?
Yes that’s in Section 2(b) here

It is also explicit in the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation agreement that

“The Parties may cooperate in the following areas… personnel licensing and training”

but so far I’ve seen nothing on this, unless anyone else has

Last Edited by Charlie at 16 Jun 12:16
We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

What is interesting is that the UK CAA is issuing UK licences which are Part-FCL compliant – which suggests that there is some expectation, at least at the UK CAA end, that a UK licence will be valid throughout EASA in the future, so long as all of the relevant EASA Part-FCL boxes are ticked.

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK

It would be dumb to limit UK issued licences to the UK, so this makes sense. Especially as they accept EASA EU ones for 2 years (probably indefinitely).

Administrator

Peter wrote:

It would be dumb

you realise you’re talking about a combination of the UK CAA and EASA here, right?

We're glad you're here
Oxford EGTK
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message