Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aircraft cooling options

As the weather is getting hotter, and my TB10’s big glass windows turn into a greenhouse, I’m wondering about options for cooling the airplane while on the ground or taxiing. In the US some people use something like this filled with ice cubes. It’s simple, cheap, lightweight, effective, and removable when not needed. I would love to get one of these, but 1) there doesn’t seem to be any resellers in Europe (a surmountable problem), and 2) I cannot think of where I have ever seen bags of ice for sale in NL. In the US they can be found in every gas station and supermarket. I found some places online where it can be ordered, but this would be super annoying. Am I missing any other solutions (either for cooling or obtaining ice)?

EHRD, Netherlands

I use a Bruce’s Custom Covers reflective cover – here. It works superbly, keeping the internals hardly warmer than the outside air (I have sat inside with it on).

It also stops people seeing your Bose headsets and such and maybe trying to steal them, or other items.

If you can bring power to the aircraft, on a 24/7 basis, you have many other options in the form of “portable” aircon units.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I already have a fine cover, but no real use for it as the airplane is in a secured hangar. I’m more interested in the instant sauna once the hot sun starts baking the cabin during preflight and taxi. Mostly for the kids to avoid the complaining…

EHRD, Netherlands

Most supermarkets in NL sell bags of ice – certainly Albert Hein do

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I have curtains

Otherwise for the kids in the back maybe a car UV sunshade? It won’t cool it down but it will at least limit the heating.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

The high-wing on our aircraft is quite effective in blocking the sun. Nonetheless when parked outside for a day, I use Kennon’s and leave them on until engine start. They are extremely effective and keep the cabin temp similar to OAT on the sunniest Spanish day. When you remove it, especially the one on the windshield, temperature creep is instantaneous.

I don’t use it for longer than one day parking since I then use an external Bruce’s cover for better protection. Otherwise I believe the windows would be damaged by radiation in the long term.

Antonio
LESB, Spain
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message