Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA in southern Europe - is it slowly collapsing?

Ibra wrote:

I had the impression it’s Germany (short of being US), Germans will think it’s Sweden, people in Sweden think it’s UK, the grass is always greener nearby

No one who has ever visited this forum would suggest UK

Mooney_Driver wrote:

ULM’s are by definition 2 seater with limited range and only VFR.

Funnily enough I happen to know a few people who regularly use their inferior (in your words) airplane to fly to from Malaga or Seville to business meetings in Madrid or Barcelona.

Divide and conquer is definitely an issue.

I know people who have flown a 65 HP aircraft with hand held radios (only) across the US, and back… multiple times

I think some of the Rotax powered fleet are excellent cross country planes.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 May 23:49

I think that this last year has shown us exactly what most of Europe thinks about GA.
It is seen as leisure – not business or personal transportation, in the eyes of most European governments and was shut down.
Even many pilots were pathetically harping on about “can we fly or not, what are the rules?” in the UK with the inevitable regulation brought in.

skydriller wrote:

I think that this last year has shown us exactly what most of Europe thinks about GA.

I’m not so sure – a lot of our GA was flying internationally – the C172s to sweden and finland, DA62 and SR22 made multiple trips to Italy and Switzerland. And at least in scandinavia/baltics the “flight crew certificate” is good enough to put you under the crew exemptions..

EETU, Estonia

I said “Most of Europe”, not “All Europe”.

I recall sitting here in France looking at FR24 showing Europe.
It was patently obvious which countries allowed all GA and which didnt.
It is still eerie to see as much GA as CAT on FR24 if its VFR, showing just how much CAT ops has been affected this last year.

Silvaire wrote:

I know people who have flown a 65 HP aircraft with hand held radios (only) across the US, and back… multiple times

I did it in a Cessna 140 with 85hp, but I had the luxury of both a starter motor and a decent radio affixed to the panel!

Andreas IOM

The best way to resist is to fly…. to land to take of… and fly again.
I m found of Greece since a very long time and I will return there this summer. as says Kyp, flying in Greece is a maze between lake of AVGAS, FF (fucking Fraport) schedules (tavernas are open all the day but airports are not tavernas) port of entry (in Schengen)
But I m always happy to renew my AOPA subscription because they fight….
Being active is the only way…
This period we saw a lot of aero bashing… we must be present. Not agressive, gentlemen as we are but determinated as is a pilot…. what ever is our horse UL, certified, glider, gyro or balloon…

PPG
LFNV
28 Posts
Sign in to add your message