Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Acceptance of electronic logbooks (or simple Excel files) in different countries

Hi there

On one of the other forums a while ago, I seem to recall a thread about how people transfer their logbook data onto an excel spreadsheet as a backup record and to check the arithmetic!

Can anybody recommend the best way to set it out so that I can get the spreadsheet to tot up the hours on all the different types flown separately (around a dozen - this is not for me sadly!) If anyone has an excel precedent that they would be willing to email me that would be absolutely fab.

Thanks in advance!

UK, United Kingdom

I am sure somebody will come up with something, but may I suggest that a simple method for a backup is to simply photograph the logbook with a digital camera, put the pics on a CD, and put the CD somewhere safe?

A spreadsheet will be lost when the PC HD crashes - unless that is backed up too

The problem with using spreadsheets for this stuff is that things like instructor endorsements do not get carried over...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter

What I'm looking for (and didn't put across particularly well) is for a method of using a spreadsheet to enter the information and tot up all the hours on each different type, as well as doing a 'total tot up'. The fact that it would be a back-up is secondary really. I really like your digital camera idea though, and will do that too.

I definitely remember reading about this on the other forum, and was hoping that rather than start a spreadsheet from scratch, I could just borrow somebody else's precedent and save myself time with formatting etc. I have a feeling it was Genghis who may have done exactly this in the past, but without trawling through the other forum to check I cannot be sure.

Fingers crossed some nice person may be willing to share their previous efforts with me....

UK, United Kingdom

You may find this one useful

http://www.bmaa.org/catalogue_item.php?catID=3888&prodID=18976

Hope it helps.

Hello!

I have been using an Excel spreadsheet as my loogbook since I started flying powered aircraft in 1988. The first version was a BASIC program I wrote on my Amstrad CPC 464 home computer (a British competitor to the Commodore C64) but I quickly transferred it to a Lotus 1-2-3 (later to become Excel) worksheet that I still use.

All the sums are only in my spreadsheet, I never bothered to copy them to my logbook(s) and nobody ever cared.

I will be happy to send you the empty spreadsheet, but it is very much tailored to my needs and the columns are quite different from those of a standard logbook. With a little knowledge of Excel it can be easily adapted to different needs.

Regards

max

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hi Max

That would be great, yes please. It would give me a start if nothing else.

Thanks a lot :-)

UK, United Kingdom

I have a similar spreadsheet for Apple Numbers if anyone is interested.

Yes please Kerwin. If I get to look at a few, I can then 'cherry pick' the bits I need for mine. I work on both a Mac and Windows, so either is fine (although Windows would be the preferred choice.)

Ta muchly!

UK, United Kingdom

On the list of things to do .Whether it will support the sending of attachments however, I don't know.

Could this be added to the forum perhaps in the form of a file sharing area - upload anyhthing you think may be of interest to others which they can download as required?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I had a spreadsheet from 1992 to last year. Transfered everything to LogTen Pro on my iPad/iPhone/Mac.

United Kingdom
245 Posts
Sign in to add your message