Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR RT exam - recognition between EASA countries

I had a UK EASA-licence and moved it to CH because of uncertainties around Brexit. Having asked the Swiss CAA (FOCA / BAZL) they told me that they can (will) only accept an RT-licence which is listed in an EASA-licence.
I.e. doing the German AZF and then putting it onto my Swiss licence they said it will get refused. Their argument was that RT-licences are based on local regulations and not on EASA. So looks like bureaucracy… Not sure if they have changed that approach.
Doing the LP abroad is something else – it seems this can be done abroad.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

It should work across EASA countries, but worth checking in a country that has both IFR RT+ELP & VFR RT+ELP practicals?

Not sure if doing UK FRTOL under EASA ATO in UK would work? it could be viewed as “VFR only” elsewhere but I am sure you can win that battle but anything you do with CAA ATO in UK will not be accepted by EASA NAA…

Check with FOCA, I know someone with Swiss PPL who got a confirmation that he can do an “IR test in UK airspace” with an IAA ATO and it will be accepted

Old text,
(e) The demonstration of language proficiency and the use of English for IR or EIR holders shall be done through a method of assessment established by the competent authority.

New text, after Novembre 2019
(e) The demonstration of language proficiency and the use of the English language for IR holders shall be done through a method of assessment established by any competent authority

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes it’s possible. I’ve asked someone and will get back when I have more info.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 28 Apr 22:12
always learning
LO__, Austria

Hello,

I’ve got a Swiss PPL license, but I live in the UK. I am working on getting CB-IR (just theory so far). Switzerland requires applicants for IR to pass an IFR radiotelephony exam, but I wonder if I can take this exam in another EASA country (in the same way as it works for English proficiency nowadays).

EGKR, United Kingdom
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message