Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much in aviation depends on pilots not spending the money on proper legal representation

Spending all your [high] income works very well unless you need savings or want to retire…

Biggin Hill

As I said back in that topic IIRC, many German pilots, myself included, will have legal insurance and thus there is no financial disincentive to take a lawyer if you feel unfairly treated.

You need not only Rechtsschutz, you also need Verkehrsrechtsschutz. And check if it covers flying related matters…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

This chap does indeed recommend early consultation with a suitably-experienced barrister who has a reputation for not losing similar cases.

Whatever fee is charged will almost certainly be insignificant compared with the total cost of a conviction and the long-term cost of owning and operating a typical light aeroplane.

Last Edited by Jacko at 01 May 22:27
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Monetary cost is not the only thing one “pays”:

1. Financial cost
  2. Time
  3. Effort, stress, mental drain
  4. Opportunity cost of not doing something else

If the cost of a good lawyer was 0, everthing else being the same, most people would still not get in a legal battle because of the other issues.
As it happens: it takes someone who’s not just got enough money, but also who’s been pissed off hard enough to invest his valuable TIME into getting “revenge”. The sort of people who can pay themselves 5k/day lawyers are also the sorts of people who value their time above all else and hence would require A LOT of pissing off.

So what happens effectively is that nobody who can prosecutes.
But if someone ever did feel motivated enough and had the means to do it, “he would win”www.youtube.com/watch?v=49tIqyeNu3E?t=391!

EDDW, Germany

Monetary cost is not the only thing one “pays”:

1. Financial cost
  2. Time
  3. Effort, stress, mental drain
  4. Opportunity cost of not doing something else

If the cost of a good lawyer was 0, everthing else being the same, most people would still not get in a legal battle because of the other issues.
As it happens: it takes someone who’s not just got enough money, but also who’s been pissed off hard enough to invest his valuable TIME into getting “revenge”. The sort of people who can pay themselves 5k/day lawyers are also the sorts of people who value their time above all else and hence would require A LOT of pissing off.

So what happens effectively is that nobody who can prosecutes.
But if someone ever did feel motivated enough and had the means to do it, “he would win”

(minute 6:30, can’t seem to insert the URL within the text)

EDDW, Germany

The main thing is forgotten here:

You also need the money to be able to spend on a good lawyer. And many many people do not have that. Consequently, you get someone who the state provides for you and have to do with him.

$5000 a day and more is something I can’t even dream of hiring. And not only in this kind of thing, but generally. Justice comes for those who have the means to pay for it, that is unfortunately a fact. As a normal citizen, you can only rely on an insurance. Personally I have an excellent one which does not break the bank but which is helpful in such cases. However, you have to make sure the sum for lawsuits is sufficient, i.e. below one million coverage is useless in something like that Frenchman is going through. Rather 10 million to be on the safe side.

Similarily, many people save on third party insurance and so on. Also there, below 10 million SDR is quite dangerous, mostly not for you but your family, who might not only loose their family member but also their home and money.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

You need not only Rechtsschutz, you also need Verkehrsrechtsschutz. And check if it covers flying related matters…

Thanks for the heads up. I do have Verkehrsrechtschutz but I didn’t check if they cover flying related matters.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

The real cost of pleading guilty or accepting a caution is a (criminal) record.

For some of us, that cost would outweigh all others.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I sometimes thought of this Q. It is one of the things

But 11k (as an example) is the average pilot budget for 7 years.
So if his license is revoked, he won’t fight and go learn golf instead.

LFOU, France
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message