Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

The world record. Pretty cool

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s difficult to find people of that calibre :-)

Andreas IOM

Someone commented that most people commenting on EVs have never owned one. I’d say that a lot of people, especially on EuroGA, are smart enough to not spend 40k when they can use a calculator.

I can also observe that some people post one view on EuroGA and the exact opposite one in their domestic forum like in 1st para here:

His 1st one was a little BMW a few years ago.

The remainder is interesting. €40/kWh, let alone €75/kWh, has destroyed the “cheaper driving” idea, but may come back down.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Someone commented that most people commenting on EVs have never owned one. I’d say that a lot of people, especially on EuroGA, are smart enough to not spend 40k when they can use a calculator.

I did spend about €40k on an EV a year ago and I did use a calculator both before and after the purchase.

The average electricity cost for me during the past year (taxes and everything included) has been €0.25/kWh. (And this was during a period where electricity prices have been at a record high.) Again during that period my car has used on average 18 kWh/100 km, giving an average energy cost of €4.50/100 km. A petrol-powered car of about the same size as my EV would be hard pressed to use even 5 litres/100 km, but let’s be generous and use that figure. The average petrol price during the same period has been €2.45/litre, for an average energy cost of €12.25/100 km. Using my calculator 4.50/12.25 = 0.37.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 26 Feb 09:58
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Someone commented that most people commenting on EVs have never owned one

I might have said something similar. But I believe what I actually said was that almost all people commenting negatively on EVs have never owned one. This is true also today. They always list up lots of points they imagine will cause problems. When they eventually get one, they find out that it was no real problem after all. Theory and practice kind of thing, combined with the glass is half empty philosophy.

The main problem with EVs is that the current battery technology is not sustainable in the long run due to all the metals needed to make them. Also, there are no practical ways to recycle the batteries. Those two are real problems, nothing else is. This is also where research is done on batteries: Find battery technologies that are sustainable and that easily and economically can be recycled (two sides of the same coin really). This problem however, is still some years into the future, it doesn’t affect the users today. At some point it will, and when it does, the price of current technology batteries will increase, probably manifolds. There are lots of alternative solutions, but no commercially available solutions is as good as Li-ion for all the practical details (recharge time, how many charges it can take, power density and so on).

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Well I am sticking with my trusted V8 and V12’s. The following is pretty accurate in my view.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

Well I am sticking with my trusted V8 and V12’s. The following is pretty accurate in my view.

Can you summarise his point?

I hate this kind of video (so certainly not particularly this guy). After 5 minutes he has said maybe two or three sentences about what appeared to be his actual message, the rest being in the style that we shouldn’t hate him for his taste of clothing and that not all EV owners are bad people. So that where I quit.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

So that where I quit.

I quit after 50 sec

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

I quit after 50 sec

And that of course is your prerogative.

Airborne_Again wrote:

Can you summarise his point?

I have a range of cars. Too many in fact. The majority are fairly rare. All run on V8 and V12 engines. It is what the motor industry was built on.

The major issue, and if you had managed to stick with the video, is that the support infrastructure for EV is incredibly poor, and very costly. I appreciate that we are at the pioneering stage, but the limited range, lack of charging posts, the impossibility of providing adequate support for the vehicles, are for now not worth it.

That said we all are entitled to our opinion, but EV, will not be for me. All those that own and operate them I wish them all success, but I simply cannot see how longer term this will work.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 26 Feb 10:58
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

BeechBaby wrote:

are for now not worth it

All I can say is we obviously live in different worlds. The “worth it” argument has since long been dead in Norway. What is not dead is that there is a niche of people (perhaps 10-20%) who still are better off with an old fashioned car due to one of several reasons of practical nature.

BeechBaby wrote:

I have a range of cars. Too many in fact. The majority are fairly rare. All run on V8 and V12 engines. It is what the motor industry was built on.

The motor industry was built on cars like the VW Beetle. Besides, you are talking about something very different than the individual’s actual need for individual transport

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message