Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

An Introduction as a new member.

@Glob
Sorry for being a bit late.
I have a friend who has imported from the states. He has built one previously, and personally looked at the imported one in the states, so, it can be done
First, I presume you have read the UK LAA info on importing

Be very thorough about inspecting both the aircraft and the build & log books. You need to establish that it has been amateur built and that it’s been built in accordance with the Van’s build manual. Also check that the maintenance records are complete. The LAA have refused permits for Vans aircraft that haven’t, and the cost and complexity of repairs necessary for compliance can be high and very time consuming.

One of the biggest hassles can be modifications, that is anything not in the Van’s Build Manual. In the states you can just about build anything you want in the experimental class and many do add/change things, often for the better, but each item will probably have to go through the LAA MOD (Modification) process, this can slow things down, sometimes considerably. There are different types of MODs that carry a process. Info local copy

I’m not sure a visit to the US is advisable at the moment, but in terms of putting the aircraft into a container, you can either go over there and do it yourself, or use the services of a professional company. Don’t cut corners – it can be a rough journey across the Atlantic!

Some costs: Professional Company in San Francisco to de-rig and pack $2,800. The cost of shipping a 20’ container $2,800, plus $700 US transportation & dockside fees, £560 UK delivery and £275 UK dockside/import fees. Then you have UK import duty and VAT to add.

You have to work with a LAA Inspector (a very important cog in the ownership experience), the aim is to get to know them, and, they to get to know you, and they will guide you through the process and the yearly Permit process. The LAA have a about 350 Inspectors who they have approved, some deal with just one item i.e. Fabric, while others have multiple tickets, for IFR clearance there are two Assessors. It’s a mixture of enthusiasts, ex Professionals and professionals. All of this can be handled by a professional, and you just pay the bills. LAA info local copy

Join the RV Squadron https://groups.io/g/RVSqn this is a group of RV owners and probably most have built. It is a very good source of UK RV info.
I know of a genuine RV6 in the UK that hasn’t been advertised yet.
Best of luck.

Last Edited by Norman at 10 Oct 15:11
Norman
United Kingdom

Karl_Acht wrote:

In some countries you can find building communities of two builders, one of them usually has the money, the other one usually has the skills.

So I “just” need to find one guy with the money (and one to show me the skills) Thanks for the idea !!

LFOU, France

Everyone,

Thank you very much indeed for all the superb information and advice.

I will reply to everyone properly within a few days perhaps next week as I am busy with work but I am very happy to have found this group and thank you for RV group recommendation also, I have signed up to that.

Just a quick one Norman, I would be very interested to hear more about the 6 in the UK, i you would be kind enough to send me some details by PM if that suits.

Lots of excellent info here for me to process and Peter it does rather look like I need to accept it has to be G reg!

Thank you again,

Tokyo, Japan
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message