Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is the first thing people ask you?

Ultranomad wrote:

- who do you fly for ?

This one really prompts an answer “I own the f***ing company”…

I’m trying to be a little more polite and usually just say, ‘myself’!

“Are you a proper pilot?”

Or

“What do you mean you sell aeroplanes?”

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

When checking out of the hotel and asking for a taxi:

“What time is your flight?”

“When I get to the airport.”

EGLM & EGTN

Yes, always have to point the taxidriver to the GA building. Or watch Uber pass you because it ‘must’ be at the CAT terminal.

Funny you all have the same experience, thought it was Dutch, with all the regs and rules here.

EHTE, Netherlands

When taking people into e.g. Düsseldorf:

“So they have a small runway somewhere for your plane?” or “Do you really get to use the same runway as the big jets?”

I have to say, before I got into flying, I personally had no clue that it was possible and a normal thing to do to fly into commercial airports with small GA aircraft. Today, I find it a normal thing and am amazed by the reluctance of many small GA pilots to do this.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

I mostly get asked how far I can fly, and people are totally amazed when I tell them the empty-tanks range is Kefalonia, Tangier, or somewhere near the top of Norway.

Then they ask how long it would take

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Then they ask how long it would take

And then if you have a toilet on board? (Mostly ladies asking that)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“How the hell can you afford a private plane?”

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Other pilots can be even worse.

I was at an aerobatic contest about 25 years ago in the US and was talking to one of the volunteers. She owned a 172 she had advertised for sale. She was ranting about MCPs in the flying community. I asked her what she meant, as there were some female pilots in the competition. She said this happened to her a few days before:

Somebody called her up and asked to speak to the owner. When she told him that she owned the plane he said “yes, but who flys it for you, honey?”

Sign in to add your message