Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Would you be interested in Traffic and Weather all at the same time on Skydemon or other EFB?

marioair wrote:
Weather features based on availability of Celluar or Ground station reception IF available
Which is completely useless for any serious touring.

which is why in the next line i wrote:
Weather features based on satellite data IF above not available

Last Edited by marioair at 29 May 11:28

What type of satellite connection?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Probably iridium

Have you looked at the costs?

There is a reason why the ADL is €25+ per month. The hardware is also not dirt cheap.

This old experiment may be fun to read Not a lot has changed.

Administrator

There’s a strong chance it may be using ADL under the hood

In that case I really don’t understand what the business proposition is.

Anybody can buy the ADL directly from @Sebastian_G and I believe there is some way to integrate traffic data from some other devices.

And “below satellite level” you have 4G and then the whole world of data is free. You don’t need messaging; you can run whatsapp telegram etc

Years ago there were various people looking at airborne data delivery using the GSM system (GSM (SMS), GPRS, 3G, 4G) by using tricks, properly doable only on rooted devices, for aggressively connecting to barely accessible networks. AFAIK none of these ever went anywhere. And things are very slowly improving; for example crossing France ~FL110 this week I did actually get some intermittent connectivity on 4G (maybe 10x) whereas in past years there would be zero. I think Belgium is still zero. Vodafone contract.

What I think would be a good product would be a Zaon-like device (the £1k one they discontinued before they went bust) which gives you azimuth on Mode C/S and thus gives you traffic info on the vast majority of radiating targets, and then you can add what everybody else is doing i.e. bring in the various ADS-B flavours, Flarm, etc.

Then, for a real coup, fake a SIL=3 traffic stream which merges everything into a “certified” stream which can display on certified avionics, GNS upwards You will need to have a GPS in there and will need to reverse engineer the Garmin traffic data stream. Lots of previous threads here on EuroGA.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

What I think would be a good product would be a Zaon-like device (the £1k one they discontinued before they went bust) which gives you azimuth on Mode C/S and thus gives you traffic info on the vast majority of radiating targets, and then you can add what everybody else is doing i.e. bring in the various ADS-B flavours, Flarm, etc.

Perhaps I mis-understand the tech, but isnt that what PAW are now doing and connecting and displaying this to your “favorite” tablet nav-app?
I think there is also a dedicated App for your phone? And re-broadcast data too in the UK?

Regards, SD..

You will not get an idea where to look in PAW when you encounter a ModeS/C traffic, all you know it is there with unreliable range information (also if he is very low not replying to any Radar interrogations it will not exist on the tablet, looks same as if he is “transponder off” but the legal version of the switch)

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 May 09:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

That’s correct – no azimuth from anything currently on the “cheap” market.

I bet a lot of people are buying these boxes without realising this, because the advertising avoids explaining this aspect.

Not sure I have a “favourite” app. The moving map one I fly with is an unusual one which runs the normal VFR charts, and can’t display any overlaid data onto the map. If I was using something more “modern” I would use EasyVFR which I also have installed. But I do negligible VFR in the UK now, after the new CAA zero-tolerance policy started.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

That’s correct – no azimuth from anything currently on the “cheap” market.

I thought there was height/altitude info on Mode C/S traffic?

Peter wrote:

Not sure I have a “favourite” app.

Sorry, generic expression/term for whatever you may have and run…

Regards, SD..

Sign in to add your message