Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One-person tent for carrying in a plane, and cooking

Optimus pumped pressure stoves could run on mogas or kerosene if you changed the burner. I used both fuels 1965 – 1985.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Interesting. I looked up Optimus and it looks like they were copied by Primus (or vice versa). They are a bit cheaper than Primus.

The one thing which becomes apparent is that all the really cheap stoves, say under €30, e.g.

are liquified gas, and the really bottom end ones screw onto the top of the gas cylinder. The ones which can use liquid fuels all cost more and some are quite pricey.

We used to have a cheap one here, sitting in an outbuilding (in case we got a power cut; some years ago we commonly got power cuts of 10-20hrs, and eventually I bought a 3.5kW generator, after which the electricity company finally fixed the cause ) and when I went to check it out I found it was corroded and all the gas had leaked out of the cylinder. So this is probably quite relevant to flying with the stuff. Liquid fuels are a lot safer especially as they can be carried around in a strong bottle like this

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I looked up Optimus and it looks like they were copied by Primus (or vice versa).

It’s vice versa. The Primus trademark dates back to the 19th century and became genericised in some countries (e.g. Russia).

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

This reminds me of a Czech joke.

In CZ, condoms had a trade name of Primeros.

A coal miner walks into a store and wants a Thermos flask. He sees “Primeros” on the shelf and gets confused and points at them (shops were not self-service in communism; you asked for each item). The lady assistant asks “what size do you want?”. He replies “give me the biggest you have; I am down that hole 16 hours at a time”.

Administrator

Carriage of dangerous goods in GA is regulated on a country by country basis I believe? Given the 36 L of AVGAS above my knees, a liter in a small can in the luggage compartment wouldn’t add to my malaise, but is there anywhere where it would be illegal? I believe gas cannisters are illegal for GA.

We looked at the legalities of it previously.
Camping Gas

Personally, I’d be more comfortable with a sealed gas canister than cooking using Avgas or carrying some other liquid fuel in a bottle that is opened and closed regularly. But I wouldn’t attempt to bring it through an airport terminal

EIWT Weston, Ireland

FWIW: When I bought a tent for occasional family camping some years ago I remember anything below 10.000mm „water proof rating“ meant one will wake up wet.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes, though with a degree of ambiguity still.

Personally my intuition would be that liquid fuel would be safer than gas, as if there is a leak in a gas cylinder e.g. post crash the whole thing will rapidly empty and potentially make an explosive mixture. A heavy fuel like Kerosene will just seep out. I suppose the problem is that if a container is not properly sealed it may leak due to changes in air pressure.

These fuel bottles hold pressure quite well. After all, you have to pressurize them in order to use the stove. Before you use the stove, you replace the fuel bottle’s cap with a little air pump and then connect it to the stove. In order to get fuel from the bottle to the stove you must first create some air pressure in the bottle using the pump. The pressure then pushes the fuel out of the bottle and into the stove. You most likely will get the occasional drop of fuel onto your skin when handling such a stove but I really wouldn’t worry about it during transport (as opposed to to the 100 or so litres in your wings). Just thoroughly skrew the cap onto the bottle and store it upright.

EDQH, Germany

Those bottles are the same as are used for water, in camping, etc. IME they never leak and are unbreakable. The aluminium just dents.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message